Welcome to the general & cannabis growers discussion section. This section is for general discussions about cannabis and growing. Plenty of laughs to be found in here. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Nutrients

A place to discuss cannabis and growing related topics
Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Re: Nutrients

Post by Marcus »

wutang wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:34 am
I used canna and I'm in hard water 0.6ec out the tap. When I get to flower that's when I start to see all sorts of issues. So I'm wondering whether that's half my problem. However I've adjusted a couple of other factors on this run so I'll see what comes. Thanks for sharing that small point, however I've got like 10l of canna a and b to get through so I'm not changing anytime soon haha
Mine used to be 0.6 up to 0.8 out of the tap. I sent Dutch Pro an email and Rico recommended their grub based on the ph of the water NOT the ec.

I'll have a mooch for the email later if you're interested.

- I found it...

"It has to do with the pH of the products.

The “hard” water was the base feed developed according to Amsterdam tap water as of 1985. The pH of the hard water base feed is around 1.0. When you use this with tap water of around 7.5 - 8.0, the nutrient mix comes out at like pH 6.0.

The “soft” water was developed for regions with a low pH in tap and well water. At first, this was developed for the UK in 2009. Most of their water comes out at pH 7.0. The pH of the nutrient mix would drop too much with the regular hard water. Therefore we adjusted the pH of the soft water base feed to 4.5. This will help growers to get their nutrient mix close to pH 6.0 again.

To come back to your question. Do you experience the pH of your nutrient mix to be under 5.0 after mixing the nutrients and before pHing? If so, then I would recommend the soft water. If not, then you are perfectly fine with the hard water version.

This is basically the history of the hard water and soft water base feed. Both use the same ingredients and are based on the same science. They just differ in pH to provide growers with a better choose."

My mix was hitting ph3 and I was using LOADS of silicon to bring it up to 6, then we chatted more and worked out that If I mix the A in 1 bucket of 10L water and the B in another 10L bucket, let them sit and then slung them into a 20L empty bucket, the ph was hitting 6 bang on.

SO I ended up using the normal DP grub in that house and stopped having them niggly little deficiencies here and there.
These users thanked the author Marcus for the post (total 3):
Sage (Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:36 am) • Hmr81 (Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:21 am) • wutang (Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:06 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Canna, Growers Ark and Vitalink are all ferts ive used that are tried and tested in UK for our water. Growers Ark will actually tailor make your ferts for your water if ya send them a water sample or they used too anyhow last i looked.

No difference in yields, taste stink taste etc all banging good, basically i find any decent branded ferts will do you a great job but i tend to stick to ferts made for UK water.

Just got me a kilo of both A&B dry powdered ferts, says it makes 10 ltrs of a stock solution A&B but my thinking is make 5ltrs of each sling it in my empty 5ltr Canna A&B tubs and use a lot less, jobs a good en. But yes i think its summink we should be seeing more of here in UK instead of paying for 90% water. Dry ferts i think are gonna be my way forward from here on in. 8-)
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 2):
wutang (Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:06 pm) • Hydro Urban (Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:10 pm)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Herbalist
Bud Of The Year Winner 2022

Post by Herbalist »

First, welcome to the forum. Glad to have you. You're fairly local to me so i may pop in and say hi at some point.

I have mostly used PlantMagic grow and bloom. Keep it simple. Never a problem. Im trying out 'The End' from GHO, currently. So far so good.
These users thanked the author Herbalist for the post:
Hydro Urban (Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:10 pm)
Making plans with a stoner is like being with a prostitute. They tell you they’re coming, but you know it’s a lie.

biosynthetic
Known User

Post by biosynthetic »

The BAC bloom stim won the nutrient category at Spannabis this year...

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Marcus wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:04 am
wutang wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:34 am
I used canna and I'm in hard water 0.6ec out the tap. When I get to flower that's when I start to see all sorts of issues. So I'm wondering whether that's half my problem. However I've adjusted a couple of other factors on this run so I'll see what comes. Thanks for sharing that small point, however I've got like 10l of canna a and b to get through so I'm not changing anytime soon haha
Mine used to be 0.6 up to 0.8 out of the tap. I sent Dutch Pro an email and Rico recommended their grub based on the ph of the water NOT the ec.

I'll have a mooch for the email later if you're interested.

- I found it...

"It has to do with the pH of the products.

The “hard” water was the base feed developed according to Amsterdam tap water as of 1985. The pH of the hard water base feed is around 1.0. When you use this with tap water of around 7.5 - 8.0, the nutrient mix comes out at like pH 6.0.

The “soft” water was developed for regions with a low pH in tap and well water. At first, this was developed for the UK in 2009. Most of their water comes out at pH 7.0. The pH of the nutrient mix would drop too much with the regular hard water. Therefore we adjusted the pH of the soft water base feed to 4.5. This will help growers to get their nutrient mix close to pH 6.0 again.

To come back to your question. Do you experience the pH of your nutrient mix to be under 5.0 after mixing the nutrients and before pHing? If so, then I would recommend the soft water. If not, then you are perfectly fine with the hard water version.

This is basically the history of the hard water and soft water base feed. Both use the same ingredients and are based on the same science. They just differ in pH to provide growers with a better choose."

My mix was hitting ph3 and I was using LOADS of silicon to bring it up to 6, then we chatted more and worked out that If I mix the A in 1 bucket of 10L water and the B in another 10L bucket, let them sit and then slung them into a 20L empty bucket, the ph was hitting 6 bang on.

SO I ended up using the normal DP grub in that house and stopped having them niggly little deficiencies here and there.
This is interesting.

Firstly I add a and then mix, then add b then mix.
Measure pH and its usually around 7ish and then pH down

Maybe I should the separate mix method.

But if I'm using pH down go bring back to 6ph, then do I really need to?
These users thanked the author wutang for the post:
Marcus (Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:01 pm)

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

2-Scoops wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:01 am
Canna, Growers Ark and Vitalink are all ferts ive used that are tried and tested in UK for our water. Growers Ark will actually tailor make your ferts for your water if ya send them a water sample or they used too anyhow last i looked.

No difference in yields, taste stink taste etc all banging good, basically i find any decent branded ferts will do you a great job but i tend to stick to ferts made for UK water.

Just got me a kilo of both A&B dry powdered ferts, says it makes 10 ltrs of a stock solution A&B but my thinking is make 5ltrs of each sling it in my empty 5ltr Canna A&B tubs and use a lot less, jobs a good en. But yes i think its summink we should be seeing more of here in UK instead of paying for 90% water. Dry ferts i think are gonna be my way forward from here on in. 8-)
Powdered ferts - something I'll deffo explore after I finish this batch or canna. Thanks scoopsy
These users thanked the author wutang for the post:
2-Scoops (Fri Aug 25, 2023 11:17 am)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

wutang wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:18 am
Powdered ferts - something I'll deffo explore after I finish this batch or canna. Thanks scoopsy
It was Treetrunk that put me onto this brand. Not mixed up yet but when i do i shall post up a few pictures i recon.
That's correct way to mix them. That said i just use first bottle i grab whether its A or B first. Still does trick ok for me, never had problems doing that anyhow.
Last edited by 2-Scoops on Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
wutang (Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:48 pm)

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

2-Scoops wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:01 pm
wutang wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:18 am
It was Treetrunk that put me onto this brand. Not mixed up yet but when i do i shall post up a few pictures i recon.
That's correct way to mix them. That said i just use first bottle i grab whether its A or B first. Still does trick ok for me, never had problems doing that anyhow.
Valuable info thanks + rest of comments on thread.

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Anyone in the UK use Maxibloom???

I'm thinking about using a decent (Plagron ROyal or Batmix) loaded soil that'll see me through veg and then maxibloom powdered stuff for the last 8 weeks???

IMO
Known User

Post by IMO »

It’s all about GHO the end with me was very impressed on the last grow and looking forward to running it in coco now.

Return to “General Growers & Cannabis Discussion”