Welcome to the general & cannabis growers discussion section. This section is for general discussions about cannabis and growing. Plenty of laughs to be found in here. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Coco coir

A place to discuss cannabis and growing related topics
Greenfingers
Known User

Coco coir

Post by Greenfingers »

Good day all, Looks like im going to be forced to mix my whole soil mix as the base mix (Tropics bat mix) is no longer available (August at the earliest)
ive never used coco coir before and it makes up 40% of the soil mix so what should i look at and what should i stay away from ?

im thinking 100ltrs of organic peat and 40ltr of coir and all the other nutrients i add.

this was the reply I got from Growell when asked about the availability of tropics

"Good Afternoon Greenfingers most handsome grower - Oliver here.

Tropic Bat Mix is currently unattainable for the foreseeable. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, there isn't particularly a "like for like" alternative!

You could look at potentially going for the Plagron Cocos Premium and supplementing with Bat Guano and Mega Worm. This media has great PH buffering and adjusts the PH through 6.1 - 7.7 ensuring full availability of nutrients. I recommend input PH between 5.5 and 6.5 depending upon strategy and preference. I would proceed to water only initially until the plants start showing signs that they're ready for nutrition. This is cautionary however, and I would always follow manufacturers guidelines on dose and mixing applications.

Let me know if you would like to know more on this. Tropic Mix apparently should be back in stock at some point, its just likely not until at least end of August, or so I've been told.

I hope this helps!

Warm Regards,
Oliver."

cheers all 8-)
These users thanked the author Greenfingers for the post (total 2):
Marcus (Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:49 am) • Dex (Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:38 am)

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Re: Coco coir

Post by Captain Beefheart »

Hiya bach my advice is use straight canna coco pro no need to add anything just canna A & B keep the pH bang on 6 of the mixed solution and water / feed every day the first day upon planting soak all the medium before the plant goes in the pot also don't forget to keep the dope in a tropical environment then ya should end up with something like this, this plant was in 7 litre of husk coco is a piece of piss to grow dope bach But don't add anything that's gonna fuk with the inhert medium for u sure will struggle

I bid ewe good day Image

Great Googly Moogly

These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post (total 3):
Marcus (Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:49 am) • Dex (Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:39 am) • flip (Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:43 am)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

@Rawreefer is having the same issue. I think I can get the tropic bat mix as of mid-July, but not the tropic mix. The alternative seems to be a product called "gold label". Its a 60/40 mix. My brain is a sieve atm so give me a message when you are looking to buy it and ill see what I can get my hands on.

If not, go full coco, the mix you are using is a "soiless" mix anyway, its pretty much hydro growing.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 3):
Dex (Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:40 am) • Marcus (Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:30 pm) • Greenfingers (Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:22 pm)

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Try a straight canna coco run, you'll be surprised at how easy it is. Less faffing than making up teas n farting in jam jars.

If you want to stay in mud, the house n garden bat special is good and cheap but has perlite in. Same as the plagron batmix.

I like using Plagron bat mix, algae bloom and their green sensation for late flower.

ncrypta.core
Known User

Post by ncrypta.core »

Keeno wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:00 am
@Rawreefer is having the same issue. I think I can get the tropic bat mix as of mid-July, but not the tropic mix. The alternative seems to be a product called "gold label". Its a 60/40 mix. My brain is a sieve atm so give me a message when you are looking to buy it and ill see what I can get my hands on.

If not, go full coco, the mix you are using is a "soiless" mix anyway, its pretty much hydro growing.
With there 60/40 you have to buffer the medium first doesn’t come pre buffered
Where the salts go, the water will follow

ncrypta.core
Known User

Post by ncrypta.core »

If I was going to go try to copy it it I’d find a light mix soil for the peat like example British organic bio light mix then for the coco I’d use this
https://www.fertilefibre.com/products/b ... 5736295583 As current do

But pre charge the coco first with calmag
How to pre charge
https://youtu.be/Lu_1ml-ZSNc

MommaB
Plant Of The Year Winner 2022

Post by MommaB »

Full coco all the way I agree with capt on this one straight coco and canna a&b warm temps and let ‘em fly🙌
A Heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others- The Wizard of Oz

Greenfingers
Known User

Post by Greenfingers »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:36 pm
Try a straight canna coco run, you'll be surprised at how easy it is. Less faffing than making up teas n farting in jam jars.

If you want to stay in mud, the house n garden bat special is good and cheap but has perlite in. Same as the plagron batmix.

I like using Plagron bat mix, algae bloom and their green sensation for late flower.
Keeno wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:00 am

Captain Beefheart wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:08 am
Hiya bach my advice is use straight canna coco pro no need to add anything just canna A & B keep the pH bang on 6 of the mixed solution and water / feed every day the first day upon planting soak all the medium before the plant goes in the pot also don't forget to keep the dope in a tropical environment then ya should end up with something like this, this plant was in 7 litre of husk coco is a piece of piss to grow dope bach But don't add anything that's gonna fuk with the inhert medium for u sure will struggle

I bid ewe good day Image

Great Googly Moogly
I will try coco one day, I like my process of growing and enjoy it, So which coco should i buy to add to my soil mix ?
These users thanked the author Greenfingers for the post:
Marcus (Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:19 pm)

Greenfingers
Known User

Post by Greenfingers »

ncrypta.core wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:06 pm
If I was going to go try to copy it it I’d find a light mix soil for the peat like example British organic bio light mix then for the coco I’d use this
https://www.fertilefibre.com/products/b ... 5736295583 As current do

But pre charge the coco first with calmag
How to pre charge
https://youtu.be/Lu_1ml-ZSNc
i'll have a look into this mate :thanks: everyone...

Marcus
GR420 Leg End

Post by Marcus »

Greenfingers wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:46 pm
I will try coco one day, I like my process of growing and enjoy it, So which coco should i buy to add to my soil mix ?
Any.

Grab the bricks, they're cheaper.

Bulls was looking at these a while back... https://www.londongrow.com/products/sub ... 2247183444

£1.45 for 10L of husk.

Return to “General Growers & Cannabis Discussion”