Welcome to the general & cannabis growers discussion section. This section is for general discussions about cannabis and growing. Plenty of laughs to be found in here. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

cleaning used cf carbon

A place to discuss cannabis and growing related topics
duke
Respected Member

cleaning used cf carbon

Post by duke »

hi all well anyone who has read my threads/diaries etc will be aware i hate waste and spending money more than i have to but being a security minded type i like to keep good filtration in my grows and need zero smells but being poor i have as you may remember been refilling the rhino cfs using new carbon from greens this is cheaper than new cf but still an expense i could do without so with the idea of cleaning and reusing the same filter medium is very appealing to me so i have been testing the theory recently using some 4/5 inch used for 2/3 year on average cfs some (the previously refilled) have screws holding then together so easy to remove carbon and clean in a large sieve by passing water through hot as you can with a drop or 2 of fairy liquid then i spread the carbon out in the shed to dry for a week or so refilled and fitted the 4inch to my smaller drobe with the flowering and very smelly tangerine dream been a few days and zero smells in drobe room!

so armed with this knowledge i did the 5 inch without taking it apart just as in this article a bucket and soapy water and a good lot of shaking and finish by rinse with clean water till it runs clean out the filter and best way is if possible just hang it in a warm room and leave to air dry and shall be testing it out next run but if this even just extends time needed between purchasing new cfs then a godsend to us poorer folks! have a look here,

https://itstillruns.com/clean-carbon-ai ... 32511.html

i be interested to hear thoughts?peace
These users thanked the author duke for the post (total 2):
GMO (Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:43 pm) • FX (Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:49 pm)
sussex pet rescue fundraiser https://sussexpetrescue.org
help rescued dogs by donating for good karma and because its nice to give, :thanks:
link to diary viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7385

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Re: cleaning used cf carbon

Post by GMO »

my only real concern/question is if there is a chance of breaking the carbon pellets into small enough pieces to fit through the main filter body.... If this is possible and then we rinse through till clean, im concerned that there might be gaps created from the removal of these pieces during the process

very interested in your results tho buddy.... do you thinking maybe you could weigh the dry filter before and after the process to see if there is some lose?
These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
FX (Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:50 pm)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Return to “General Growers & Cannabis Discussion”