The Growroom Great Chilli And Pepper Grow Off 2021

The competitions in this section are all completed and no longer active.
novice4oil
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Growroom Great Chilli Grow Off 2021

Post by novice4oil »

The Aspie Toker wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:23 pm
Mrs Beefheart wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:19 pm
sageridder wrote:
this is what they look like. Image
They look very pretty I bet Aspie will have heard of them
There's a load of multi-coloured chillies. Most are called "ornamental" as they have heat but no real taste.

If you're after fairy lights, then you can get them here...
https://seaspringseeds.co.uk/shop/veget ... illi-seed/
Bolivian Rainbow and Chinese Five Spice are the classics among the multicolour, multiphase, spicy varieties. I had Bolivian rainbow years ago, as most novice growers, it didn't bring much for me though, aside of the chancing colours.
These users thanked the author novice4oil for the post:
The Aspie Toker (Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:53 am)

novice4oil

Re: The Growroom Great Chilli And Pepper Grow Off 2021

Post by novice4oil »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:37 pm
Just ordered some sweet chilli seeds. Some italian genetics, so must be good looking plant :lol:
Rik, there's at least one heatless Chinense variety in case you are looking for the flavour of the hot peppers. For me it required too long an Season, let me look for the name. perhaps an option for next year. Found it, it is the Frontera Sweet.
Guest (Fri Jul 16, 2021 7:40 am)

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

novice4oil wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:31 am
Bolivian Rainbow and Chinese Five Spice are the classics among the multicolour, multiphase, spicy varieties. I had Bolivian rainbow years ago, as most novice growers, it didn't bring much for me though, aside of the chancing colours.
It's a shame I am no longer in good health, otherwise I'd be growing chillies this year. I used to grow 130+ plants. One year I ended up with yellow jalapenos by cross-breeding.
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

novice4oil

Post by novice4oil »

The Aspie Toker wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:55 am
novice4oil wrote:
It's a shame I am no longer in good health, otherwise I'd be growing chillies this year. I used to grow 130+ plants. One year I ended up with yellow jalapenos by cross-breeding.
Yeah, them bags of potting mix are hard to lug around. Using smaller pots this year as I am out of regular pot sizes. If only my germination was upto scratch I would have had that many too.

Were you on the international forums? Never got around to it, and now they seem as dead as the forums here in Europe.
The Aspie Toker (Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:07 am)

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

novice4oil wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:00 am
The Aspie Toker wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:55 am
novice4oil wrote:
Yeah, them bags of potting mix are hard to lug around. Using smaller pots this year as I am out of regular pot sizes. If only my germination was upto scratch I would have had that many too.

Were you on the international forums? Never got around to it, and now they seem as dead as the forums here in Europe.
I was on a UK forum for a while, but never posted what I grew.

Inactive account
Inactive Account

Post by Inactive account »

novice4oil wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:09 am
So, what is the contest about, i.e. what are the judging criteria? Number of fruits, mass of fruits, largest fruit, I don't see anything mentioned in the opening post. @DIY.Rik it is all the same fruit, all Capsicum. Chil(l)i Peppers, Bell Peppers, Peppers vs. Paprika.

@Mrs Beefheart you realise those ornamental pepper plants you show of in your opening posts, usually receive one or multiple rounds of growth regulator sparyed on the green parts of the plant to reduce the growth of the plant and ensure fruits stand out over the canopy.

As for seed packs, erhm you do realise each pepper contains seeds. So one uses ones own harvest, or one gets some grip/zip baglets with dried seeds from (online) friends.

Anyway can't enter as i will not reach 50 posts this season. Plants have experienced serious stunted growth and other weather related issues, anyway, so are only now catching up. Now onto the rest of the thread.
Good morning and welcome to the Growroom :clap:
This competition is a fun comp i run along with several others
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11119 sunflower comp
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11246 fruit and veg grow off
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=11469 best garden /window sill plant

There is no judging criteria , all best pics are put to a vote and picked by members :oik!:
The pic on the top of the comp is pinched off google just for a pic and yes lol i do realise that i can harvest my own seeds .
Feel free to enter my fun growing comps ,im not to serious on post counts on these , as long as the plants are growing now and you update in here :oik!:

Inactive account
Inactive Account

Getting redder

novice4oil

Post by novice4oil »

Mrs Beefheart wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:42 am

There is no judging criteria , all best pics are put to a vote and picked by members :oik!:
The pic on the top of the comp is pinched off google just for a pic and yes lol i do realise that i can harvest my own seeds .
Feel free to enter my fun growing comps ,im not to serious on post counts on these , as long as the plants are growing now and you update in here :oik!:
Ah an jury contest;-). Thought as much, but had to ask.

Updating pictures, I am afraid i have many pictures, but they would identify my location and me. As I have posted them on other veggie/chillipeppers fora.

Plants are catching up, in flower, not in fruit yet as they were debudded to keep them in vegetative state, as they had suffered serious growth delays due to the weather here, even in the greenhouse as young plants/seedlings.

Packing them thighly makes the plants grow up not so much side ways. I have a couple of Aci Kill Menendez plants that are getting to chest high.

I was just pointing out that commercial growers (ornamental) have their tricks to get plants look like that.
Inactive account (Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:40 pm)

Inactive account
Inactive Account

novice4oil wrote:
Mrs Beefheart wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:42 am

Ah an jury contest;-). Thought as much, but had to ask.

Updating pictures, I am afraid i have many pictures, but they would identify my location and me. As I have posted them on other veggie/chillipeppers fora.

Plants are catching up, in flower, not in fruit yet as they were debudded to keep them in vegetative state, as they had suffered serious growth delays due to the weather here, even in the greenhouse as young plants/seedlings.

Packing them thighly makes the plants grow up not so much side ways. I have a couple of Aci Kill Menendez plants that are getting to chest high.

I was just pointing out that commercial growers (ornamental) have their tricks to get plants look like that.
Ah that’s such a pity you’ve your pics somewhere else , i run this comp every year so gives u plenty of time to get in next yr lol

novice4oil

Post by novice4oil »

Inactive account (Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:46 pm)

Return to “Completed Random Competitions”