New Blog - Can You Grow Weed Outdoors In Cold Temperatures?

abseedyofficial

New Blog - Can You Grow Weed Outdoors In Cold Temperatures?

Post by abseedyofficial »

Weed outdoors in cold temperatures isn’t exactly the go to thought when you think about growing. Outdoor weed plants thrive in the lovely warm sunshine. They in turn tend to have more issues when facing colder, harsher climates.

Afghanistan, Colombia, Jamaica, Pakistan & South Africa are all known for their landrace strains. Weed strains that grow naturally in these areas. The one thing they all have in common is the mostly nice and warm climates.

Does this mean you can only grow weed in a warm climate, or in a specially kitted out tent with lights to recreate the glorious sunshine? Keep reading below to see our take on the subject.

What we are going to look at today:
  • What effects does the cold weather have on the weed plant?
    Can temperatures get too cold for weed plants?
    What will happen if you grow weed outdoors in cold temperatures or the winter?
    Do Genetics matter for cold temperatures?
    Strains that do well in the cold weather & outdoor grows.
What effects does the cold weather have on the weed plant?

When you think of weed outdoors in cold temperatures the first thing that probably comes to mind is the dreaded mould. Bud rot & mould are two of the biggest fears for any weed grower whether hobbyist or commercial. It is one of those things. If you find it in one place, chances are you are going to find it in loads of places. No one wants a whole crop ruined by some mould & rot.

Mould and rot are usually found in plants that have excess moisture. Moisture occurs when it is not dried up by the sun in outdoor grows or the lights in your tent. It is nearly impossible to get rid of once it sets in. Bud’s can begin to rot at early stages during the growing process. You can often see this long before harvest time. Other times it is something that you unfortunately won’t notice until you have harvested and inspected your freshly trimmed buds.

The other big concern for weed in cold temperatures is the root system of the weed plant. Root systems in weed plants thrive at certain temperatures and will almost fail in others. If the temperature drops too low in the soil, the weed plant’s metabolism begins to slow down and has trouble taking on nutrients, water & oxygen. This in turn will halt many of the processes the plant needs to undertake to reach its full potential and gain maximum output of the plant. Plants with rot/mould that continue in the growth process often end up stunted and begin to go droopy.

Cold weather is able to hermaphrodite plants. The change in temperatures from one extreme to the other can stress the plant to do so. Not only will this lessen the yield from what you were expecting but may also leave you with a crop of plants you won’t want to use.

It’s not all doom and gloom! Another thing we know is that in some cases with cold temperatures more anthocyanins can be present. This in turn causes your plants to have more of a purple colour. Which is why there are plenty of purple buds in plants that are specifically bred to grow in outdoor colder climates.

Can it get too cold for weed plants?

As mentioned at the start, weed plants like a nice and warm climate in their natural environments. This is usually a temperature of about 20-25°C. The vegetation stage favours q higher temperature and the flowering stage a lower temperature. In outdoor conditions you veg during the hotter months leaving flowering until the later cooler months.

The ideal soil temperature for strong root growth is 15-20°C so you will need to take precautions to make sure the temperatures do not drop too far below these figures. Of course, in nature where the weed plant grows naturally you won’t have these exact temperatures all the time which is why in the colder climates with the right precautions you can get away with a colder grow.

If the soil temperatures drop below 10-12°C that is when you endanger the root system. Without the solid structure the plant will struggle to survive/produce. Be sure to have something in place to maintain this temperature.

What will happen if you grow weed outdoors in the winter?

Growing outdoors in the winter with climates full of snow is extremely difficult without extra equipment. However, being somewhere cold but relatively dry with plenty of light is more than doable.

If it is too cold and the plants are left outdoors to work on their own you will have plenty of problems. Even if you are lucky enough to be able to avoid the worst of the weather you will end up with small yields as well as plants probably riddled with multiple health issues.

With time, patience and the correct set up you can just about get away with growing some weed plants outdoors in the cold. It Is necessary to avoid too much moisture and avoid leaving the plants outdoors during flurries of things like snow and ice.

Taking extra steps when the weather worsens to be able to get your plants indoors or under cover for short periods of time is a must. Not only will this protect your plants from any strong winds and over watering it can help considerably to avoid bud rot & mould.

This said you have to be extra careful to not stress the plants when transferring them between indoor to outdoor. Always try and have the place you will be keeping them at a similar temperature to where they have been. This will help to avoid stress in the plant. It is also very important to note the amount of light your plant needs at that specific time. You could stress the plant further and cause it to revert stages if done in the wrong way when flowering.

Do Genetics Matter?

The short answer is yes. Not all countries are blessed with the perfect weather for growing weed outdoors. When you think of places associated with weed most will go straight to Amsterdam, the stoners’ haven. The Netherlands isn’t known for its hot weather so growing weed outdoors there isn’t easy. Through careful and specific breeding there are now plenty of strains which work outside in colder weather.

Dutch Passion have strains bred specifically for colder climates in places such as the Netherlands and surrounding countries. Examples of these are Frisian Dew and Frisian Duck.

Spliff Seeds based in Amsterdam also have a range of outdoor strains bred specifically for these climates. As well as maps to indicate temperatures and relative flowering times depending on the zone you are in.

It is not only countries based in Europe that we have to thank for the colder weather genetics produced. The landrace strains which grown naturally in the higher mountainous regions where weed grows outdoors in cold temperatures are a good place to start. Taking these genetics would have been the first step for breeding the colder weather strains.

Strains that do well in the cold weather & outdoor grows

Banana Candy Krush Feminised Seeds – T.H Seeds

It was our mission to cross two strains with that unique banana terpene, which also have those other traits we are all looking for: easy to grow and great (resin) production. Banana Candy Krush from the Bastards Line by T.H.Seeds™ and Shiloh is fast for a predominantly sativa with 8-9 weeks. It can be grown with all techniques, but always good to use scrog and topping to optimize the space. It is also very well suited for outdoor, with great resistance to pests and the cold and with potential to turn quite gigantic. Banana Candy Krush’s buds are chunky and appealing, mostly light green with a hint of dark green and covered in a frosty resin layer. It’s easy to trim and a real hash maker with almost double than usual output of some of the tastiest Banana hash ever.

Blueberry Gum Feminised – G13 Labs

Blueberry Gum is an indica dominant strain which was created by crossing Hash Plant with Blueberry. It’s a unique plants which can be cultivated in lower temperatures such as mountainous regions and still obtain satisfying harvests. This quick flowering hybrid has a calming effect with a fruity chewing gum aroma. In colder conditions, even night time, this plant will reveal beautiful purple colours. Blueberry Gum produces big and compact flowers fully covered with resin. Wont require any special attention or treatments. Its effect is long lasting and relaxing, perfect for an evening chill out.

Early Girl Regular Seeds – Sensi Seeds

Early Girl was one of the first cannabis strains in the Sensi Seed Bank. A mostly Indica hybrid, it is early flowering and quick to finish. With thick, compact buds hugging the main stem, it makes a large central cola that forms quicker than other of Sensi’s award winning cannabis varieties. Also giving a rich hash-like taste and smell with a potent and surprisingly uplifting and giggly buzz. Early Girl grows well on balconies & can handle humid climates. It is a great cannabis variety for cold climate countries that need to harvest before the end of September.

Green Poison CBD Feminised Seeds – Sweet Seeds

Although this genetic is totally adapted to the requirements of indoor growing, due to its fast flowering, this plant is also very appropriate to outdoor growing in humid zones that can be especially sensitive to fungus attacks. It is also very adequate to areas with cold climates. In humid areas the plants anticipate the harvest regarding to the season when botrytis (grey mould) usually attacks, often destroying the buds of Indicas with a longer flowering, while in cold areas they anticipate the harvest to the arrival of low temperatures.

Moscow Blueberry Feminised – Kalashnikov Seeds

This hybrid is truly deserves to be called medicinal strain due to its high contents of CBD. Achieved by crossing Blueberry, AK-47 and a top-secret hybrid. Resistant to cold weather. Recommended to harvest before frosty days (where climate conditions allow). Medium height, compact buds, covered with sick layers of resin. Turns dark-purple by the end of the flowering. Possesses sweet forest berries scent, while smoking transforms into soft overwhelming cherry aroma. Moscow Blueberry is ideal for medicinal use, treatment depression, chronic fatigue, stress, muscle pain. Very positive and relaxing effect.

Let us know in the comments below any strains you found to be good at producing in the colder weather.

If you have any top tips to help grow weed outdoors in cold temperatures please share!

A B Seedy Crew

https://www.abseedy.com/can-you-grow-we ... peratures/
These users thanked the author abseedyofficial for the post (total 6):
high-as-ya-like (Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:30 pm) • Treetrunk (Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:30 pm) • 2-Scoops (Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:12 pm) • Rawreefer (Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:25 pm) • Jayme Ream (Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:05 pm) • Stickylemonz (Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:40 pm)

Treetrunk
Respected Member

Re: New Blog - Can You Grow Weed Outdoors In Cold Temperatures?

Post by Treetrunk »

I'm going to have a go with some auto's outside next year.
Trying some in hydro and the rest in weed trimming and seaweed compost.
Never tried organic before so should be interesting.
These users thanked the author Treetrunk for the post:
Jayme Ream (Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:11 pm)

abseedyofficial

Treetrunk wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:36 pm
I'm going to have a go with some auto's outside next year.
Trying some in hydro and the rest in weed trimming and seaweed compost.
Never tried organic before so should be interesting.
sounds like an interesting experiment you got yourself there

best if luck with it! Some of the stuff you see now with autos outdoors is craaaaaazyyyyyyy!
These users thanked the author abseedyofficial for the post:
Jayme Ream (Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:11 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

My top tip is don`t grow these 2 strains if you wanna get high >> Frisian Dew and Frisian Duck are proper shit that don`t work, i wouldn`t take risk of being caught for growing them. By far worse strains I've smoked that do squat diddly in my whole life x100.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post (total 3):
Jayme Ream (Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:11 pm) • abseedyofficial (Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:01 am) • MrNice (Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:20 am)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Rawreefer
Grow Of The Year Winner 2022

Post by Rawreefer »

Outside is okay for me......so far
These users thanked the author Rawreefer for the post (total 3):
Treetrunk (Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:06 pm) • Jayme Ream (Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:11 pm) • abseedyofficial (Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:01 am)

abseedyofficial

2-Scoops wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:10 pm
My top tip is don`t grow these 2 strains if you wanna get high >> Frisian Dew and Frisian Duck are proper shit that don`t work, i wouldn`t take risk of being caught for growing them. By far worse strains I've smoked that do squat diddly in my whole life x100.
are they really that bad??

disappointed to hear that! Having been bred specially for places that are cooler outdoors like England we thought they would have actually put some effort in to create some good strains :sad:
These users thanked the author abseedyofficial for the post:
2-Scoops (Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:51 am)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

abseedyofficial wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:03 am
2-Scoops wrote:

disappointed to hear that! Having been bred specially for places that are cooler outdoors like England we thought they would have actually put some effort in to create some good strains :sad:
Yes Frisian duck (Ducksfoot) does absolutely nothing and my mate thought same and Frisian dew was just as bad, if i was rating them out of 10 the Frisian duck would get minus -10 outa 10 and Frisian dew 1 outa 10. I really don't know what to say about them except they really don't get you stoned in slightest, The Frisian dew was grown outdoors in France in a nice climate as well by a decent grower and might have got me stoned if i was toking my first ever joint but the Ducksfoot wouldn`t get anyone stoned ever. Their maybe different uses for them feck knows tbh, but i was smoking to get high and these 2 strains did squat. Unless they`ve been improved over last 6 or 7 years, nah proper shit mate.
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Stickylemonz (Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:38 pm)

abseedyofficial

2-Scoops wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:47 am
abseedyofficial wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:03 am
2-Scoops wrote:

Yes Frisian duck (Ducksfoot) does absolutely nothing and my mate thought same and Frisian dew was just as bad, if i was rating them out of 10 the Frisian duck would get minus -10 outa 10 and Frisian dew 1 outa 10. I really don't know what to say about them except they really don't get you stoned in slightest, The Frisian dew was grown outdoors in France in a nice climate as well by a decent grower and might have got me stoned if i was toking my first ever joint but the Ducksfoot wouldn`t get anyone stoned ever. Their maybe different uses for them feck knows tbh, but i was smoking to get high and these 2 strains did squat. Unless they`ve been improved over last 6 or 7 years, nah proper shit mate.
Such a shame! Wouldn't have expected that at all from someone like Dutch Passion. Hopefully they have done some work on them to improve the final product and not just making sure it can grow in colder climates

Guess we are just lucky there are now so many strains that you can take outdoors and not have that many issues :barmy:

Rawreefer
Grow Of The Year Winner 2022

Post by Rawreefer »

Hi There,
What can you recommend that is okay for going late on in the year ??. The last three years have been getting later and later. With this comes the risk of bud rot, so something that is best resistant to bud rot please if you don't mind and i will give it a bash on your recommendation....
These users thanked the author Rawreefer for the post:
Treetrunk (Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:37 pm)

Solo Forager336

Post by Solo Forager336 »

I've had plants outside in early December and there was frost about at the time.
What a noticed was that the plants were droopy when it was cold, the thc seemed to increase and the flowers got really gassy.
So yeah I would say they can take a few light touches of frost at the end of the season.

It depends on the plants really there are some that just never show mould no matter what the weather throws at them.
These users thanked the author Solo Forager336 for the post (total 2):
Stickylemonz (Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:39 pm) • 2-Scoops (Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:24 pm)

Return to “A B Seedy”