Image Uploading Orientation issue when using Apple / iPhone / iPad devices

Our resident dev experts very own corner of the forum. A place to find Mintys mods and workloads.
Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

It seems there is an issue with the image uploading functionality which results in a perfectly orientation image being flipped / rotated after uploading.

I have been working on a replacement for the image uploading for other *quality of life* / *usability* reasons but as part of my research there is obviously a known issue with Apple devices and specifically to do with EXIF data convincing the browser the image is incorrectly orientated. The main reason from what I can gather is because Apple strip the actual photo's EXIF data due to privacy reasons etc. Sounds pretty good, but come one Apple, seriously is ORIENTATION a fecking privacy issue? Just strip the god damn GEO location that your probably ignoring...

To be clear this is not an issue that is specific to GrowRoom420 but is specific to Apple devices.

The hope of this post is to obtain how wide the issue is and to confirm it is specific to Apple devices

Couple of initial questions from me if you are seeing this issue:-
  • Are you using an Apple Device (if so which one)?
  • Are you using TapaTalk?
  • Do you get the same issue when using the Gallery Uploading and the Attachment Uploading?
  • What do you get if you 'copy' the image and 'paste' it into a full editor (Note: this feature doesn't work in quick post - you need to use the full editor to paste)?
  • If you email the same image what orientation is that in when received (i.e. email it to me or yourself)
I personally don't own, don't want to own, or even like Apple products so I kinda need your help if you want this fixed (I personally don't care - not an issue for my Android device) - but I want to help you if I can so if anyone running Apple devices and hitting this issue can provide some feedback that would be appreciated (otherwise when we get my new image uploading replacement your side is still not going to work although it will allow you to rotate it back before uploading to the server).

@IMO and @Mrs Beefheart have already agreed to help so thanks both.
These users thanked the author Minty for the post (total 3):
Mrs Beefheart (Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:03 pm) • PaleoCannabica (Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:10 pm) • Keeno (Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:43 pm)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Re: Image Uploading Orientation issue when using Apple / iPhone / iPad devices

Post by GMO »

Is this exclusive to Iphone/Ipad/apple stuff

i think a few times the gallery has taken an android upload and assigned the wrong orientation. usually 90 degree right where portrait to landscape is usually 90 rotate left iirc. but when you edit the orientation in gallery it remains.

ill drop one here when it happens again
These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 3):
Minty (Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:00 am) • Elijah Growz (Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:40 am) • The Daze (Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:11 pm)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

GMO wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:24 pm
Is this exclusive to Iphone/Ipad/apple stuff
I don't really know mate, hence the post. I do know it is an issue with Apple in terms of the EXIF side but trying to gather info and see if there are possibly more than one issue in play at the same time etc. For example I never noticed IMO's issues before we made the local EXIF data removal fix so that my be a trigger etc, or I might JUST not have noticed etc. I really don't know at the moment.

Hopefully once we replace the image uploading it will either go away or at least be centralised into my own code base where I can track down the cause etc.
GMO wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:24 pm
but when you edit the orientation in gallery it remains.
I think @IMO mentioned changing the orientation in Gallery made no difference?

Thanks for the info mate and a 'fecked up' Android pic would be really useful especially if you can PM me the version with the EXIF data intact.
These users thanked the author Minty for the post:
GMO (Sun Sep 06, 2020 12:35 am)

Mrs Beefheart
Respected Member

Post by Mrs Beefheart »

Ok so I’m on apple phone , not a new one it’s a 6s I believe lol. , I also use tappa , tbh i get no issues uploading to my gallery, I always do it off my phone through the site and the same with tappa no probs there unless it’s a tappa issue
These users thanked the author Mrs Beefheart for the post:
Minty (Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:51 pm)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Mrs Beefheart wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:50 pm
tbh i get no issues uploading to my gallery, I always do it off my phone through the site and the same with tappa no probs there unless it’s a tappa issue
I don't think it is TappaTalk related and If you are fine in both Tappa and the site then that helps rule that combination out. Perhaps it is only applicable to newer iPhone models as later models do come with 'more locked down' features as it were.

Thanks @Mrs Beefheart the feedback is useful, we shall hunt this bug eventually.
Mrs Beefheart (Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:56 pm)

Mrs Beefheart
Respected Member

Post by Mrs Beefheart »

Just a thought imo , your not taking your pics on panoramic are u , cos then they will come up that way
These users thanked the author Mrs Beefheart for the post:
Minty (Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:06 am)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

ill keep my eyes open for ya bud :D
These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
Minty (Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:06 am)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Kinda on topic and mostly just because I spent all day on this, so I wanna show you all what I have been working on. Which is a replacement to the current image uploading interface. This is partly sparked from my own hatred of not being able to just paste in an image and partly driven by the numerous complaints I have seen recently from @IMO , @Elijahgrowz , etc, and I promised I was looking into it so here is an update for you guys to show I am not just words ;o)

Note: this was recorded using the built in Windows recording software (press Win+G) and only records the browser not the external dialog's that I actually see so you will have to imagine how it is being used but basically:-
  • the first image I select as a single image using the file browse functionality
  • the 2nd load of images I drag and drop a folder (full of images - but this could easily be just multiple images)
  • the 3rd image I copied from the forums and pasted in using right click copy and Ctrl-V to paste (this is my personal gripe one).
After that I kinda show the image editing functionality but it is far from working so you have to excuse the obvious bugs etc but hopefully shows the kinda User Interface I am going with.

Obviously the main point of posting is for 'likes' but any feedback in terms of changes etc are more than welcome as changes are much easier to implement at this stage rather than once it is fully implemented etc.

We all have to use this functionality so don't complain later about something you don't like now and especially complain about something we already have so that I don't re-implement that ;o)
kbag (Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:16 am)

kbag
GR420 Leg End

Post by kbag »

I have never had a issue with the old upload. So the drag and drop option will be in the post your making at the time minty?
These users thanked the author kbag for the post:
Minty (Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:30 am)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

kbag wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:16 am
I have never had a issue with the old upload.
I appreciate that is probably just be feedback, but to be clear, you will be able to keep the old uploading if that is preferably mate, I will make the new one optional - I just think the old one sucks.
kbag wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:16 am
So the drag and drop option will be in the post your making at the time minty?
Post? Not exactly sure what you are saying mate so if I don't answer your question please ask me again mate.

The drag and drop I am building into my replacement uploading extension, along with copy paste and it will allow you to Crop, Rotate, Zoom in, etc. on that special bud etc, all done on the client (so nothing will be uploaded to the server until you click the upload button once you are happy).

That is my plan mate but I am totally open to any suggestions as to how you would like it to work etc, and even if we don't agree I will make it flexible and certain parts optional - we all gotta use it and I just wanna make it work for as many people as I can.

There are gonna be exceptions to that rule, and for them fucker I am now just gonna have an "Unsubscribe from every fucking thing Minty does checkbox" so that everyone is happy ;o)

Return to “Mintys Nerdy Corner”