Welcome to the grow room designs and equipment section. Every grower faces different obstacles when setting up a cannabis grow room. Use this section to discuss the different types of grow rooms you use or would like information about to grow cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

How to build a shed room, - - - - properly..

Discuss setting up your space & what equipment to use
bigbadbillybob
Known User

How to build a shed room, - - - - properly..

Post by bigbadbillybob »

Afternoonings, me old fart knockers, and do i have a treat for you.....

ive decided to put this thread up to help show any noobs the ways of the grow room build, since mine is almost finished (Nanook?) .
ive not just decided to put it up to annoy Nanook and put him over the edge cos his isnt near finished, although, that is the main reason lmfao...

Anyway im almost done building mine, so i will share some helpfull tips and hints on layout, construction, insulation soundproofing etc, etc

first off start with a shed, any shed, i decided to build one, here is is. mid build. But the guide is suitable for older sheds too
If you are building one, insulate it, definitely do this, for noise, then sheet the inside. you can use OSB (ordinate strand board -- good), plasterboard--not so good, MDF_ quite good, or many other materials.
You MUST make it lightproof from the outside, no escaping light, or air, if possible. I sealed up the interior of mine with silicone, to prevent anything getting in or out.
For insulation, kingspan id say is the best,or a kingspan knock off, or accocustic slabs of rockwool. Loft insulation - only if you cant find anything else.

if you want to really go to town, then build a room within a room, this is the quietest option - by far. this involves framing up the walls and ceiling with 2x2 and insulating it again. a lot of cash, but almost silent from the outside

Now that youve got a shed, you need to divide it up to create a grow area. this will mean a dividing partition wall, unless you want to pretend you have a lighthouse every time you open the shed door. right room built insulated, and painted? Paint use flat white emulsion, it has the best reflective properties, a few coats, till its a solid colour.

Exterior vents, you will need these for fan extraction and air intake. id position these on the "blind" side of the shed if at all possible. Intake should be low on the wall, extract high. im using air cooled hoods here so i have addditional high level vent holes, because i am running a stand alone fan, just for the hoods. it will come in on the top right hole on the pic below, go round the lights in the room and exit out the top left hole, the intake hole is 8 inch the extract hole is 6. this is because i am using a 8 inch fan, on to a 6 inch reducer before the lights, then 6 inch duct between lights and out. it will be run off a seperate fan controller, this one here, its cheap and shit, but it works and im skint. the other 8 inch holr is for the fan filter exraction. FAn and filter will be placed between the rows of lights at the far end. ImageImage

its also a good idea to insulate under the flooring sheets, to keep the roots cosy, if at all possible. if not possible a sheet of insulation board covering the floor or under the pots will help.
Electrics next. DO NOT RUN A SINGLE EXTENSION LEAD and hope you can use a 6 way extension to run everything, unless you have a fire extinguisher on standby- it wont work.
if you are running HPS lights, then use a seperate extension, from the house/garage/wherever for just the contactor/timer for the lights to plug into. OH and use a proper contactor timer box/ lead please, not those shitty plug n fail jobs....Image

so once you have this set up you should be good to go, but i would always advise over -sizing your fan and filter set up, running them off a controller at lower revs, for noise suppression.

Put your fan and filter at the far side of the room , as far from the intake as you can, for better air circulation
Also try not to go out there every half hour, its more than a bit suspect if you do.
i will add more as i think of it, but thats as far as ive got.
I know most of you probably already know about these things, but this is aimed at noobs who fancy a crack at growing some primo bud in the pic below, my filter will go on to the stand, vertically, fan on top of it and duct will go up and come towards the outlet at ceiling height. Image

Feel free to add your own sage advice if it helps others.

ANd most importantly of all, try not to take as long as Nanook does to build the fukr....lol. :lol: :puff puff: :puff puff: :bye:
Last edited by bigbadbillybob on Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bigbadbillybob for the post (total 5):
Nanook (Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:47 pm) • FX (Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:48 pm) • flip (Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:53 pm) • TTL (Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:14 pm) • Keeno (Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:59 pm)

FX
Known User

Re: How to build a shed room, - - - - properly..

Post by FX »

Nice guide, thanks bbbb
These users thanked the author FX for the post:
bigbadbillybob (Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:57 pm)

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

IMO run 6mm SWA from your CU and run a second smaller CU in the shed. You can then use a breaker for a proper light/fan system with a holdon circuit :D
These users thanked the author Nanook for the post:
bigbadbillybob (Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:57 pm)
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

SWA - Steel wire armour cable. this needs to be sized to your proposed supply, make sure you get it right
CU- Consumer unit

Also, dont try and screw in hooks for your lights into the OSB boards, put another timber spanning the trusses and screw into that instead, it wont come out and crash down on your head if you do this....
These users thanked the author bigbadbillybob for the post (total 2):
Nanook (Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:57 pm) • kbag (Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:25 pm)

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

Haha good advice :)
and yes.... I have done it myself in plasterboard pmfsl, first flat etc.
I'm jealous :(

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

those eye hooks are good, but i usually drill an undersized hole first, it makes the screwing in bit a lot easier.
but the guide hole needs to be much smaller than the thread diamater of the eyehook
Nanook (Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:05 pm) • Greenfingers (Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:59 pm)

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

Jackchains the boy tho eh.... so easy to work with.

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

yeah, chain and those small karabinas work real well, they wont ever fail, unlike those shitty ratchet rope things.
think im gonna have Princess Margaret round to switch on the lights at the grand opening ceremony tomorrow....lool
Nanook (Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:10 pm) • kbag (Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:23 pm)

Post by Guest »

Wish I had the funds to do this in the garage right now. I got my plan, it's just putting it together. Plkus I need to move house too, so done the design to suit. The insulation is what costs these days. I keep pricing it up and I think I'm better off waiting for something to fall off the back of a lorry! It's so expensive.

Nice build though man :oik!:
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:36 pm
Wish I had the funds to do this in the garage right now. I got my plan, it's just putting it together. Plkus I need to move house too, so done the design to suit. The insulation is what costs these days. I keep pricing it up and I think I'm better off waiting for something to fall off the back of a lorry! It's so expensive.

Nice build though man :oik!:
Look on ebay, you get large quantities of the rockwool accoustic slabs quite cheap.
These users thanked the author Nanook for the post:
Guest (Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:42 pm)

Return to “Grow Room Designs & Equipment”