Welcome to the grow room designs and equipment section. Every grower faces different obstacles when setting up a cannabis grow room. Use this section to discuss the different types of grow rooms you use or would like information about to grow cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Autopot aquaplate

Discuss setting up your space & what equipment to use
2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Re: Autopot aquaplate

Post by 2-Scoops »

Nomoli wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:16 pm
jimmi2scoops wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:14 pm
Have you had the system up and running already as it should by the way ?
I've had three harvests with auto's in this system so far mate and one handwatering, but all have been in soil so far, the reason is that I was advised to use soil for a bit by some chaps in a grow shop to start with. Since my grows have improved a little bit I'm feeling the need for a bit of a change and I've being seeing good things with coco and dwc and fancy a bit of that. At the moment I'm torn between coco in my autopots and a diy dwc, really thought I'd struck gold with the aquaplate thing but unfortunately I agree with you it is a little bit too good to be true. Nevermind hey

How come you packed in the autopots?
You`ll get as good yields as dwc using auto-pots but less hassle and worry in summer what with high temps, ferts and roots, alot less can go wrong with the autopots than dwc in that sense and problems are easily solved. System is solid and fool-proof in my book. If you did soil in autopots again maybe look at gettimng the airdomes i can see that helping out lots. But no need if using lets call them hydro type mediums. Its your shout at end of shift mukka but you knopw where i am. :)
These users thanked the author 2-Scoops for the post:
Minty (Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:10 am)
"You don't put fish fat oil in a Ferrari" Operation Crossbow

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

Nomoli wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:27 pm
Here's a link to the website
https://www.autopot-usa.com/product/aquaplate-square/

Im gonna keep researching on it
Just ordered a Auto-Pot 4x 15ltr pots system...
2-Scoops wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:00 pm
Check out the air-domes here https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw ... s&_sacat=0 they look a better bit of modding for the system.
...with 4x of them air domes so will see how that turns out.

Going to be using it as a backup to the hydro so already have the air pumps etc. and plan on having the 4 pots in 2 separate locations so basically just using two of them although they look pretty easy to move so may go with using 3 pots and just having spare piping in the two location while moving the complete system between veg and tent.

Going to try it with the following medium:-
  • Canna COCO Pebble Mix - 50 Litre
  • 20L Canna Aqua Clay Pebbles
  • 10L Perlite
  • Seramis Clay Granules
The full on hydro is proving a little 'to on the edge' for me to not have a backup solution in the works.

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

This is pretty cool - watch until the part with the spider type version (couple of min in from my timestamp)

seymore_budz
Respected Member

Post by seymore_budz »

Minty wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:39 am
This is pretty cool - watch until the part with the spider type version (couple of min in from my timestamp)
The thing that makes me laugh is you buy a system off the shelf and you expect it to work. You shouldn't need to fuck about with socks and stainless steel blocks and walls of copper :lol:

Autopots work well if you get them right. 9/10 problems are because people don't use the correct mix. 2-scoops sounds like a man with experience and IMO 100% has the correct idea if you want to run with autopots. You'd be wise to take him up on his offer.

And those add-ons look shite. Don't look suited fot ganja, I'd be concerned with the amount of the water they can recieve from the base, the top is white so it will grow some lovely algae too. They have a problem with roots getting into the valve but what do you think will happen when you try and run this hydro? The roots will go hunting for water and will be everywhere. Another concern is heat. Thise little squares are going to get hot in a tent grow in carpet. I wouldn't touch them if they paid me :)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Sage
Respected Member

Post by Sage »

I don't know if this adds anything to this discussion, but I remember reading a bit about these systems long ago and one thing they were doing was adding these practice golf balls under the air domes. May have been for additional diffusion or to block roots and soil, honestly don't remember.
https://www.pacificgolfclubs.com/golf-s ... es-12-pack
These users thanked the author Sage for the post:
Minty (Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:17 pm)
Anyone that has time for drama is not gardening enough.

Nom
Known User

Post by Nom »

Yes autopots can work, but imo there are better systems to use diy or off the shelf. I messed around with them for about 18 months or so with various mediums, mixes and nutrient lines. Jimmy is the man with them on here, there are others elsewhere and hansbricks springs to mind. A quick google will show you a 1ib auto with them with autoglueberry og i think it was. That said, I've donated my autopots to the wife for her tomatoes and sunflowers and moved on, and I'm glad I did. I dont reckon on the aquaplate being much good for running dope either. Seen alot of side by side comparrisons with air domes too without much difference as well. Knowing what I know now if I was ever to set up from scratch again I wouldnt give autopots a second look but thats just my opinion. As said they can work, but there is better options even as a backup. It's like having an mustang gt500 for your daily car and a fiat 500 as backup, you could and it may work but it aint no muscle car. Better to have a dodge charger as backup
These users thanked the author Nom for the post:
Minty (Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:29 pm)

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Minty wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:06 am
Nomoli wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:27 pm
Here's a link to the website
https://www.autopot-usa.com/product/aquaplate-square/

Im gonna keep researching on it
Just ordered a Auto-Pot 4x 15ltr pots system...
2-Scoops wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:00 pm
Check out the air-domes here https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw ... s&_sacat=0 they look a better bit of modding for the system.
...with 4x of them air domes so will see how that turns out.

Going to be using it as a backup to the hydro so already have the air pumps etc. and plan on having the 4 pots in 2 separate locations so basically just using two of them although they look pretty easy to move so may go with using 3 pots and just having spare piping in the two location while moving the complete system between veg and tent.

Going to try it with the following medium:-
  • Canna COCO Pebble Mix - 50 Litre
  • 20L Canna Aqua Clay Pebbles
  • 10L Perlite
  • Seramis Clay Granules
The full on hydro is proving a little 'to on the edge' for me to not have a backup solution in the works.
If your wanting a hand i will show you how to use them ? I think it`s by far best automated yet still a passive hydro set up, their is around.
Minty (Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:43 pm)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

2-Scoops wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:17 pm
If your wanting a hand i will show you how to use them ? I think it`s by far best automated yet still a passive hydro set up, their is around.
Definitively take you up on that offer mate. I was surprised at the negative response they just got as from my research they seem perfect especially as a backup instead of running all four pots in the same full hydro setup. One mistake and all for are gone so would rather split out to another grow medium/method both as the backup to and to learn from doing both.

Appreciate the offer 2-Scoops and any tips would be very welcome. Basically I got a four pot system but only plan on using 3 of them, I also got the air dome thingies. Any advice on mixing a suitable medium? I was going to do a 30mm layer of Aqua Clay Pebbles with a mix of the Canna COCO Pebble Mix, Perlite and Seramis on top, finished off with a another layer of just Clay Pebbles but not really had time to fully research it yet.

2-Scoops
GR420 Leg End

Post by 2-Scoops »

Do you have any copper root mats for bottom of pots or nft fibreglass rooting mat by any chance ? Just so roots don`t go escaping like mad-ens and spreading into the valve, which will cause havoc and block it and stop it working, i prefer the nft spreader mat myself i always put a layer in bottom of any pots i grow in for said reasons.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... ooting+mat

Yes just add a few layers or so into bottom of your pots of clay pebbles, then into a 3 x 15 ltr mix i`d be going with 35 liters of coco, 10 liters of perlite. :)

Leave out the domes its summink ive never used and tbh once you know your system and your smashing it you can just have a go with those yourself, but in reality they`re not needed with that mix cus its gonna be well aireated so no need.

I`ll pm you tomorrow mid-day/afternoon`ish, UK time and we`ll talk more. :)
TTL (Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:14 pm)

Minty
Respected Member

Post by Minty »

2-Scoops wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:10 pm
Do you have any copper root mats for bottom of pots or nft fibreglass rooting mat by any chance ? Just so roots don`t go escaping like mad-ens and spreading into the valve, which will cause havoc and block it and stop it working, i prefer the nft spreader mat myself i always put a layer in bottom of any pots i grow in for said reasons.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... ooting+mat
I can get that spreader mat but probably not in time! Have added some to my next order and they are cheap but I need to stock some other stuff to justify delivery so will put on hold and see what else I need.

The AutoPots come with copper root mats (4x root control discs) but I also have a large roll of copper matting I used to cover the very small outside space I have before laying slate all over it:-

This shit has held up really well outside in the garden after a couple of years. Pretty much nothing grows and if it does the roots are just in the slate.
2-Scoops wrote:
Yes just add a few layers or so into bottom of your pots of clay pebbles, then into a 3 x 15 ltr mix i`d be going with 35 liters of coco, 10 liters of perlite. :)
To be honest mate, I have what I have coming, and that is the Coco-Pebble mix and =https://www.hydrohobby.co.uk/10l-perlite.htmlperlite. I thought the Seramis Clay Granules would act as a buffer similar to vermiculite and want to try even a small amount of these as apparently they are really good at wicking. So using a combination of that and the air domes I think will work well but:-

:idn:

Gotta be worth an attempt with playing things different with at least one of the plants just for the science. NO?
Space X didn't win by not trying crazy shit.
2-Scoops wrote:
Leave out the domes its summink ive never used and tbh once you know your system and your smashing it you can just have a go with those yourself, but in reality they`re not needed with that mix cus its gonna be well aireated so no need.
Already have them coming and reading the grow diary linked above I will definitely be using them as can't see any harm they can do from having too much air in the water and I already have a 24/7 requirement for an air pump to be running for the full hydro setup. Plus they have to be buried into the pot at the start anyway so might as well see what they do.

I can get NFT spreeder mats and will follow any advice you have but timing is a little sensitive as I have already germinated a few Water Melon Wedding Cake seeds (courtesy of the Awesome GR420 comps) so would like to get them into a proper medium quickly this time - my Hydro babies spent near on 3 weeks in clay pebbles due to me still building the tent and having really high temps at the time and they are still suffering from that and root rot (god damn you biology).

2-Scoops wrote:
I`ll pm you tomorrow mid-day/afternoon`ish, UK time and we`ll talk more. :)
If your up for advising on the full grow cycle I will start a thread in the 'Mentoring' section? Let me know what you think but it would be good to centralise it somewhere and make some good content for the forum. Keeno likes it when we do that ;o)

Not sure if you have seen my current build/grow diary yet but it might be worth you taking a look so you can see what sort of environment I am dealing with.

Thanks again for the advice.

Return to “Grow Room Designs & Equipment”