Welcome to the grow room designs and equipment section. Every grower faces different obstacles when setting up a cannabis grow room. Use this section to discuss the different types of grow rooms you use or would like information about to grow cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Venting/ Exhaust Question

Discuss setting up your space & what equipment to use
GrowGlow

Venting/ Exhaust Question

Post by GrowGlow »

Hi there GR420!

Have been growing a bit and attempting to set up a tent. Ran into some questions and I hope the gurus here can help a newb out.

The tent will be a 4×8×7 tent. Due to hot and humid conditions, will be using a 760cfm rated, 8 inch exhaust fan, capable of variable speed and also environment control. Carbon filter will be 10×24 as its rated 850cfm. The 8×24 carbon filter is 750cfm and will most likely suffice but I want the fan/ filter combo to run more efficiently. I also hope it means my filter will last longer? I will need a reducer to fit the 10×24 filter to the 8 inch exhaust fan. Is a PVC material based reducer okay? Or does it have to be metal?

I am under the idea that I won't need an intake fan since the 8 inch exhaust fan is more than sufficient?

I have to vent through a sliding door to the balcony. I have seen many adaptors that allows the exhaust hose of a portable AC to be vented out sliding window/doors.

Something like this. However, it only has sizes up to 6 inch. Nothing larger than that. I am not skilled enough to DIY one that would ensure my wife don't murder me.

Is my only option to use a reducer from 8 inch to 6 inch in order to vent through the above adapter?

The adapter makes everything looks neater and still allows me to enter/exit the balcony as usual, which is the main objective.

Any genius ideas for me? Should be a piece of cake to solve for the masters around here? Thank you all so much in advance!

Philzon   Growroom420 Discord
Nanook
Respected Member

Re: Venting/ Exhaust Question

Post by Nanook »

Hi Growglow - first off welcome to the forum :) I forget if I already welcomed you :)

Now, if it was me..... I would try and avoid reducers etc as they make noise. I personally would go for a viper 6"x1000 1500m/3 - 882cfm filter. Youl see them on ebay ( the links are longer than this post but youl find them ) - the best filters available imho.
For a fan it depends on budget really. I would look at something like GEKKO ACOUSTIC BOX FAN 6" 1500M3/HR.
https://www.mellowyellowhydro.co.uk/gek ... 500m3hr.ir

Upto you mate but if you have space for the slim 6" thats what I would do and then no messing about with piping :)
See what the others reckon tho :)
The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear.

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

Forgot to say.... I would also just use the tents passive intake as you say.

Bulls
Coco Grower

Post by Bulls »

Hello mate.
Have you already bought the fan and filter stated above? If yes, using reducer is your only option. Doesn't have to be metal, plastics will do too. Bare in mind you will get slightly more noise or whoosh as we say it. But it's not that bad. You can also add a silencer which reduces that noise.

If you still haven't bought the equipment I'd follow Nannook advice and get a box fan and filter Viper. They are very highly rated. Thought if you get that fan you will need to buy a controller which adds cost as these fans don't come with built in controllers.

Also make sure you get good ducting. You want phonic trap ducting..its expensice but almost silent!

If I am to be honest a 8" L1 fan is more thsn enough for ur size tent so don't go something too big as if ambient temps are high you can't do anything even if you have 20" fan

GrowGlow

Post by GrowGlow »

You guys are awesome!

I'll look into the suggestions but Im really restricted geographically in terms of where I can buy my gears. I'll leave it at that without revealing too much details. So not sure if I can get that box fan unless I spend a ton on shipping. I'm limited to stuff from China for budget and security sake.

With that being said, Im actually okay with noise as the room will have no one in there ever, except for me. Its a room entirely dedicated to the tent. Other than noise being a factor, am I all good fitting a 10×24 on an 8 inch fan via a reducer, and then further reducing it to a 6 inch hole, venting out? It should reduce fan efficiency by a little but im hoping not too much to make a difference? Its a 760cfm fan after all in just a less than 225cfm space. It can theoretically exchange all air in the room 3 times a minute with cfm to spare. Thats why Im guessing it should be okay? Anything else I should worry about?

Really appreciate such great assistance shown to a newb! You guys really are awesome!

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

You might hear it outside the room was my only concern but it will work. TBH I think your going overkill and I cant see the fan running at more than 40% but better over than under. Be VERY careful with your choice of carbon filter - what make are you looking at?

GrowGlow

Post by GrowGlow »

Nanook of the north wrote:You might hear it outside the room was my only concern but it will work. TBH I think your going overkill and I cant see the fan running at more than 40% but better over than under. Be VERY careful with your choice of carbon filter - what make are you looking at?
The 8 inch fan is rated 760cfm. I am going overkill mainly due to temps/RH concerns. Imagine growing in Thailand where its hot and humid all year round. I might not be able to change ambient conditions but am hoping the higher air exchange rate will help with prevent mold/rot and even bugs. Am I very far off with this thinking? Would I implode the tent? It'll be the Mars Hydro 1680D type tents. Or do you think a 6 inch 460cfm fan is more than sufficient? Even with the year long hot and humid summers? I'm actually keeping that 6 inch option for a 5×5 tent that I may be setting up next.

I don't have brand names for my carbon filters. I get them from manufacturer so I only get specs. Its standard 10×24 with 50mm carbon bed depth. I could get the 8×24 but the price and weight is very close and there is an extra 100cfm with the 10×24. 850cfm vs 750cfm. Thats why I figured might as well get the larger one and fit via reducer. I read its always better for filter cfm to be larger and it makes sense.

Just worried if venting the 8 inch hose thru a 6 inch hole would defeat the purpose of using an 8 inch fan to begin with?

Again, really appreciate all the advice!

Nanook
Respected Member

Post by Nanook »

nah it wont defeat the purpose of a 8" it will just change flow/pressure. Think pressure washer.
humidity kills carbon filters and I have never grown in a humid place like that so I cant really comment but it would be a concern. Do you know any other growers or can you find a localised source of info for your location?

GrowGlow

Post by GrowGlow »

Nanook of the north wrote:nah it wont defeat the purpose of a 8" it will just change flow/pressure. Think pressure washer.
humidity kills carbon filters and I have never grown in a humid place like that so I cant really comment but it would be a concern. Do you know any other growers or can you find a localised source of info for your location?
I don't know any local growers and its in my best interest not to. Anyone you can tag in to help would be appreciated but it seems I gotta just go with trial and error.

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

with constant high temps i would personally worry about pushing an 8" through a 6" hole. its just adding load to the fan which makes it work harder getting hotter and reducing its life. if you were running at say a max of 75% on the fan speed controller that might help reduce the laod but then are you better off going for a 6" that you can run at 100%?

altho saying that, i run a 6" outtake throw a 4" hole in chimney breast and just allow the excess to recirculate
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

Return to “Grow Room Designs & Equipment”