Welcome to the grow room designs and equipment section. Every grower faces different obstacles when setting up a cannabis grow room. Use this section to discuss the different types of grow rooms you use or would like information about to grow cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Refrigerant Dehumidifier v Desiccant Dehumidifier

Discuss setting up your space & what equipment to use
kbag
GR420 Leg End

Re: Refrigerant Dehumidifier v Desiccant Dehumidifier

Post by kbag »

I am not sure if it is compressor or dissident, i would imagine compressor but the desiccant dehumidifiers are quieter and lighter than compressor machines.

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

kbag wrote:I am not sure if it is compressor or dissident, i would imagine compressor but the desiccant dehumidifiers are quieter and lighter than compressor machines.
I was jut watching a disiccent vid, its hot moist air it extracts not just water. That's anoth thing that will need getting rid of. Nothing is ever easy eh

kbag
GR420 Leg End

Post by kbag »

So having a day to think on it K what you decided?

Denots
Team TGC
Has thanked: 0

Post by Denots »

I use a Prem-e-air Dehumidifier, runs at 225 w, and hold about 3 L water, does the job perfect in me tent. But can't help you in your shed keeno. But I do know when I grow in me poly tunnel later on in the year the humidity is so high the humidity meter goes off the scale.
I feel for you mate.
Can someone help me off the floor, I feel rather stoned.

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

Marcus wrote:Hi Keeno, I know this may go against all common growing sense, but how about not pulling air into the groom? (especially if it's damp air)

I grow in a damp basement and the only fresh air intake I have is when I open the door (twice a day) to check on the plants and empty the dehumidifier. My oil rad in the tent clicks on when temp drops to 18.8C (I got an inkbird 308 thing) and it normally keeps it between 19-20C - that's the deal breaker for spores apparently, if it drops below 19C, they multiply. The dehumidifier is outside the tent and is a 12L jobbie about 260W and runs set at 50%RH. I get 52%RH in the tent. I run my filter on a 5inch fan, just ticking over so there's no smell. Last week was tough as I had 65% RH in the tent and couldn't work out why... I'd left the fan on full while changing the res and it was pulling damp air in quicker than the dehumidifier could deal with it.

Anyway, just thinking out loud really. Good luck getting it all dialled in. Won't be an issue in a few weeks time when it's sub zero outside. :)
Hey Marcus,

I've been playing with intake and extraction with this out building since I moved in. I managed to get in almost spot on by only extracting from the building, no intake. The tent is just recycling the air in the building itself, a 6 inch a1 is pulling air out of the building. I tried extracting the tent itself straight outside, intake for the tent straight from outside. If i just closed the actual out building off heat builds up very fast. Which in turn seems to raise the rh further. The way I have it now is almost working 24/7, just the more humid days I get issues, but in late flower with a big yielder a week or 2 at 60-70% is no good. Bloody rot

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

Denots wrote:I use a Prem-e-air Dehumidifier, runs at 225 w, and hold about 3 L water, does the job perfect in me tent. But can't help you in your shed keeno. But I do know when I grow in me poly tunnel later on in the year the humidity is so high the humidity meter goes off the scale.
I feel for you mate.
Hey Denots,

I've got something similar on full whack in the tent it's self. It's pulling 5-7 liters a day out. It's been doing my brain in since I first set up this grow. It's so different to growing in the house.

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

kbag wrote:So having a day to think on it K what you decided?
Hey K,

I've decided on a different model.

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/10 ... adedoubler

It's a lot of money but there is some method to my madness. I've configured that building every which way to get the rh sorted as you know. At present I have the eco set to 25c so 2 fan heaters are running constant on low setting, these dry out air better than the household dehumidifier but it aint a cheap fix. Come spring I won't be able to run them 24/7 As temps will rise meaning I'm back to square 1. A dehumidifier like the one in the link moves a serious amount of air, it also raises the temps a bit. So the plan is to permanently set the rh to whatever I want it at, get some free heating while I'm at it. The size is a issue to, this model will fit down the middle of the 2.4 while being low enough for me to train a canopy over it. It is a lot of money but I'm not just growing for a smoke anymore, I'm growing for oil, if a jobs worth doing its worth doing proper and all that. This model has a rh level setting, it should keep the entire outbuilding at the desired th, it also has a pump which will push the water collected to my rhizzo system brain once thsts set up.

All in all a ball ache but with running costs, the kit price of the groom itself and the time involved with growing I think this is a smart move as a week of high humidity can destroy a grow. Given I'm now on the coast fog and damp mornings will be about lots.

I'm actually starting yo miss my old wardrobe grow

Return to “Grow Room Designs & Equipment”