Welcome to the grow room designs and equipment section. Every grower faces different obstacles when setting up a cannabis grow room. Use this section to discuss the different types of grow rooms you use or would like information about to grow cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

Evolution Digital Fan Speed Controller – Ecotechnics

Discuss setting up your space & what equipment to use
Bulls
Coco Grower

Evolution Digital Fan Speed Controller – Ecotechnics

Post by Bulls »

Hello GrowRoom420!

A lot of people been talking about The Evolution Digital Fan Speed Controller lately so I thought a little thread about it will be essential. The controller monitors temperature and humidity within the grow room and constantly adjusts the speed of the extraction/intake fans to maintain optimal conditions for plant growth.

The unit also controls a grow room heater and is compatible with the Ecotechnics Evolution CO2 controller.

This controller can control multiple fans through each channel up to a combined load of 6A (per channel). The heater output will control loads up to 3kW making it compatible with most fan heaters and all solenoid controlled gas heaters.

The Evolution is a more expensive unit than some other options but has superior features and technology so the extra outlay is easily justified for those wishing to have maximum control over their environmental variables.

Fully Programmable
Temperature control
Humidity control
Heater control (3Kw)
Advanced control algorithm
Massive 12 amp total fan load
Live display of temperature/humidity
Max fan speed control
Min fan speed control (idle speed)
Temp/humidity sensor (5m cable)
Interface to Evolution CO2 Controller

One of the greatest options is the adjustable hysteresis. Hysteresis is the difference between the temperature at which the heater switches on and the temperature at which it switches off again. This is the hysteresis! Without the hysteresis your fan and heater will keep switching on and off every few seconds.

It's also very easy to wire!

The controller comes with a very well written Guide book which is very easy to understand and explains how to use every funcion of the controller. So if you're wondering what speed controller to buy I would strongly recommend this one. It does it all for you. For exacmple, the last time I've touched mine was over 2 years ago :)
These users thanked the author Bulls for the post (total 4):
IMO (Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:34 pm) • wutang (Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:36 pm) • bigbadbillybob (Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:54 am) • Nanook (Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:50 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Re: Evolution Digital Fan Speed Controller – Ecotechnics

Post by Keeno »

Is this to stop me messaging you asking how to set it up every 5 mins :lol:

Nice thread mate.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post:
wutang (Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:36 pm)

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

@Bulls morning dude

Does this controller make your fan buzz like the dimmer type controllers or is it a variac (if thats the correct terminology)?

Cheers
Wu
These users thanked the author wutang for the post (total 3):
bigbadbillybob (Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:54 am) • MrNice (Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:48 pm) • Bulls (Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:51 pm)

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

These are NOT variac controllers, they are digital transformers, from what i can see.

ive had 2 of these and both have made the fans hum, but only fans over 6 inches, my 8 inch rvk, 10 inch hrvk and 12 inch rvk have all been tested through this units and hum like a tramp . Connecting the wires without a pair of tweezes is another arse ache. its so tight and fiddly. 10 AMP total fan load claim is bollox, well, its probably not, but would take 10 AMPS and sound like concorde on take off.
. i sent the last one back, got a replacement and still the 3 bigger fans hummed.

they are excellent bits of kit, but only if your fan is 6 inches or lower imho.
I used to use them with smaller fans and they are great to be fair, but bigger stuff, forget it.
i went back to simple 3AMP variacs with a single control dial for my set up- zero hum - sorted....
Last edited by bigbadbillybob on Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author bigbadbillybob for the post (total 2):
wutang (Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:54 am) • Bulls (Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:52 pm)

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

bigbadbillybob wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:47 am
These are NOT variac controllers, they are digital transformers, from what i can see.

ive had 2 of these and both have made the fans hum, but only fans over 6 inches, my 8 inch rvk, 10 inch hrvk and 12 inch rvk have all been tested through this units and hum like a tramp . 10 AMP total fan load claim is bollox, well, its probably not, but would take 10 AMPS and sound like concorde on take off.
. i sent the last one back, got a replacement and still the 3 bigger fans hummed.

they are excellent bits of kit, but only if your fan is 6 inches or lower imho.
I used to use them with smaller fans and they are great to be fair, but bigger stuff, forget it.
i went back to simple 3AMP variacs with a single control dial for my set up- zero hum - sorted....
Cheers @bigbadbillybob - that's useful to know. I have a 5" rvk a1 so might be able to get away with it. My problem at the minute is keeping the tent warm in this freezing british weather

bigbadbillybob
Known User

Post by bigbadbillybob »

it will work fine with a 5 inch extract, no worries. its just the bigger ones that hum.
These users thanked the author bigbadbillybob for the post:
wutang (Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:57 am)

Ukbudz

Post by Ukbudz »

I used to have one of these and it burnt out and nearly caught fire. Luckily it didn't as it was in the loft.

I wouldn't mind but it wasn't even the heater port that shorted it was the fan connection on the actual board that shorted. Wasn't my dodgy wiring either as my mate who's a sparky wired her up for me. She was only running a 6" ruck at the time.
These users thanked the author Ukbudz for the post:
wutang (Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:14 pm)

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

Ukbudz wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:05 am
I used to have one of these and it burnt out and nearly caught fire. Luckily it didn't as it was in the loft.

I wouldn't mind but it wasn't even the heater port that shorted it was the fan connection on the actual board that shorted. Wasn't my dodgy wiring either as my mate who's a sparky wired her up for me. She was only running a 6" ruck at the time.
Shite, I just checked the 2 reviews on Amazon, one is by 'Invisible Sun UK' but not sure if it's the Invisible Sun on here (probabaly is). They had a faulty unit and the seller did nothing to help them, so they had to sent it back to the manufacturer to fix.

What do you use instead now? I just need something basic to stop it getting so cold in the tent, The oil heater worked wonders in my 80x80x160cm, but now I'm on a 1.2x1.2x2.0m it is difficult to heat the entire space. The fan isn't overly powerful, it just meets the m3 movement of air requirements. So I'm thinking of a fan heater and plug into thermostat.

With the thermostats, presumably you guys put it at canopy level? I just realised my SONOF hygrometer can be wired to a heater and set to turn on and off depending on temp, might give that a go.
These users thanked the author wutang for the post:
Ukbudz (Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:43 pm)

wutang
Known User

Post by wutang »

On second thoughts, forget using the SONOF, just read a review on Amazon with a chap that connected a water heater and then set the thing on wire, and it was well within the requirements of the spec.

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

If you guys want no hum from ya fans then you will need a EC exract fan and controller all electroic controllers cut the sign wave in half to play around with fan speed and thats cause the fans to hum

or you can buy a triac transformer for fam speed control

Im sure a few of you will shoot me down but i dont care ha..................LOL
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post (total 2):
wutang (Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:47 pm) • Ukbudz (Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:20 pm)

Return to “Grow Room Designs & Equipment”