Welcome to the grow room designs and equipment section. Every grower faces different obstacles when setting up a cannabis grow room. Use this section to discuss the different types of grow rooms you use or would like information about to grow cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

My Loft Build.

Discuss setting up your space & what equipment to use

Re: My Loft Build.

Post by Guest »

Keeno wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:14 pm
Finally pretty much done. Had a few days off sorting a few forum bits and the party stuff but 2 solid days up there and it's pretty much there. Below is the first stage of airflow into the loft. This is the same on the other side of the loft but for extraction. These are sealed areas, only air on or out is from vents to groom, groom to vents. The idea is between the roof vents there is a solid insulatd wall with 4 100mm ducting vents. You can then see the wall to the actual grooms.

Next is the finished groom wall with plugs wired in. This is the same on the other side. 8 sockets in the grooms with 3 more outside to take things like ballast. It a mess up there atm but tomorrow ill be sealing it all up and will do a groom tour vid if I manage to finish it all.

Everything is pissed up there which has made it a nightmare to have things installed square. I'm 8 tins of expanding foam down atm :lol:
Just pierce the cans and throw them into the voids like they're grenades 🤣 it'll save a little time!

Looks very nice. A lot of people are going to have groom envy I reckon :lol:
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 3):
Keeno (Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:09 pm) • Stickylemonz (Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:11 pm) • duke (Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:47 pm)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

Post by Guest »

Keeno wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:57 pm
Captain Beefheart wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:44 pm
and ffs matt white that brick wall or board it up duw duw :oik!:
Celotex going over it tomorrow :barmy:
Hey that stuff is well cheap and same thermal conductivity as kingspan! Nice one. I'm going to use that as extra padding under my flooring I reckon and maybe for my roof 👍🤔
These users thanked the author Guest for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:09 pm) • duke (Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:47 pm)

MrNice
Respected Member

Post by MrNice »

Keeno wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:19 pm
The outside of the facia has vent grills running along the entire roof:

As I'm heavily insulating I still want the roof to breathe and also I'll be closing off one of the eaves (corner bits) that I'm insulating above. I'll extracting air into it from the actual groom but it's sealed from the rest of the loft. This will force air out of the vents in above picture but it's such a large surface area it should in theory be silent. I've pushed some old ducting down into the vents and made sure there is a a clear air passage. The vents/ducting will have another stud wall in front of them with vents in. Effectively creating a 2 stage set of vents that will allow air to leave the loft. This will draw air in from the other side of the loft which has the same vents on the outside. It works in my head but if it actually will....

MR k
You working on a positive pressure idea ?

" I'll extracting air into it from the actual groom but it's sealed from the rest of the loft. This will force air out of the vents in above picture but it's such a large surface area it should in theory be silent"

:idn: :puff puff: :puff puff:
These users thanked the author MrNice for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:09 pm) • duke (Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:48 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

Time for another update. This is much further than these pictures now but I'm well behind with updates and want to show the progress as it happens.

The end separating wall needed a good covering, while it's solid I'm not taking any chances and want the room airtight so that only air in and out where I want it. I screwed 3x2 CLS timber to the wall and then covered it with 50mm Celotex. Timber prices are fooking mental atm, the cheapest option was the 3x2, normally planed 2x2 would suit but was more expensive.

Once this was in I went mental with expanding foam, stuff is cheap and sticks like shit to everything. If there was a 2mm gap I forced this stuff into it. Looks a mess once expanded but no air or creepy crawlies getting in here :ak:

All gaps, screw holes, anything then got covered in aluminum tape. I keep saying better safe than sorry but I don't want my door coming off because i took a chance and left an air leak anywhere, if I get unlucky it won't be because I didn't cover everything I could think of.

Now onto the other groom wall. This looks a mess as in stud work but I had to work to existing loft supports. I'm confident in my knowledge in supporting the groom, but not changing the integrity of the roof. For this reason, I've built into and around the existing roof supports making sure I'm not adding weight to them, the stud wall and all its weight is loaded onto the floor which I've installed onto load-bearing structures. This wall itself is made from 3x2 CLS timer and then 9mm plasterboard. Insulated with 100mm earth wool.

Onto to the door......What a pain in the fecking arse this has been. I didn't want a normal door as id lose room with it swinging open, so like a smart arse I decided to be a smart arse, the idea was sound, some leftover YBS Super quilt would be sandwiched between t 3x2 timbers and slide up and down. This didn't work. The material was too thick, kept getting snagged and caught up while I was trying to slide it up and down. I then changed the material to some leftover foam underlay.... the same issue. I didn't want to use a fabric material as it will be a safe haven for creepy multi-legged bastards, but I've had to. The idea will work if anyone uses it again but you will struggle with anything but soft material.

I ended up fixing some foam over the inside of the wall over the door so I can nuke the blanket regularly and there is a barrier between the blanket and plants.

It was then time to work out how I was going to hang lights and filters. I decided to go with 3x2 CLS screwed directly into the rafters. I use timber lock screws for this, id not recommend using standard screws. I've put up a good few timbers as I've still kt really got a clue what ill be using as in plants and where.

Next, in went the extraction. I miscalculated this tbh, well not miscalculated it but went with the fans I had. I figured 2 x 150mm L1 Systemair fans would cope, 1 just about kept up with a 2.4 x 1.2m grow tent in the hottest months, the total area here is 4x4m of groom. I did a dummy run with 4 x 600w HPS and both on, I don't intend to use that much lighting 24/7 but there is space, It got a tad warm, probably a lot to do with the extreme heat we are seeing but I don't want to get lumbered once plants are in there. I can't afford to upgrade the extraction atm but an amazing bit of generosity from a certain @Mrs Beefheart will mean this will not be an issue, That gesture deserves a post of its own which ill do once I set up. @Stickylemonz I've found my A1 150mm, it's your buddy, I'll get it shipped next week :barmy:

Im seriously impressed with this phonic trap ducting. Ill do a full review soon but it's a winner.

Next up is the passive intake. Bog standard 100mm combi ducting for this. The ducting runs into the closed-off section of the cool side of the loft. The extractions pushes out into the sealed area on the hottest side of the loft. Both then passively vent through another stuff wall out into another closed section where the roof vents are. I will have to do a video to fully explain this but it seems to be working on a dummy run. I'm listening each night, not a sound out the back of the house.

And that's where ill leave it tonight. All that's left is the lighting to go in and to set up the rhizo system. All pipework was previously run. My plants are in desperate need of potting up and a bit of room. Tomorrow night is moving day :barmy:
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 6):
Wizard (Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:50 am) • Wrh (Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:43 am) • Stickylemonz (Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:10 pm) • anova.330 (Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:51 pm) • duke (Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:20 pm) • Greenfingers (Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:41 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

DIY.Rik wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:00 pm
Keeno wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:14 pm
Finally pretty much done. Had a few days off sorting a few forum bits and the party stuff but 2 solid days up there and it's pretty much there. Below is the first stage of airflow into the loft. This is the same on the other side of the loft but for extraction. These are sealed areas, only air on or out is from vents to groom, groom to vents. The idea is between the roof vents there is a solid insulatd wall with 4 100mm ducting vents. You can then see the wall to the actual grooms.

Next is the finished groom wall with plugs wired in. This is the same on the other side. 8 sockets in the grooms with 3 more outside to take things like ballast. It a mess up there atm but tomorrow ill be sealing it all up and will do a groom tour vid if I manage to finish it all.

Everything is pissed up there which has made it a nightmare to have things installed square. I'm 8 tins of expanding foam down atm :lol:
Just pierce the cans and throw them into the voids like they're grenades 🤣 it'll save a little time!

Looks very nice. A lot of people are going to have groom envy I reckon :lol:

Nuff said.... :lol:
DIY.Rik wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:03 pm
Keeno wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:57 pm
Captain Beefheart wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:44 pm
and ffs matt white that brick wall or board it up duw duw :oik!:
Celotex going over it tomorrow :barmy:
Hey that stuff is well cheap and same thermal conductivity as kingspan! Nice one. I'm going to use that as extra padding under my flooring I reckon and maybe for my roof 👍🤔
https://insulation4less.co.uk/ - Keep an eye on this lace mate, I bought Celotex and got Kingspan delivered.
MrNice wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:14 pm
Keeno wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 7:19 pm
The outside of the facia has vent grills running along the entire roof:

As I'm heavily insulating I still want the roof to breathe and also I'll be closing off one of the eaves (corner bits) that I'm insulating above. I'll extracting air into it from the actual groom but it's sealed from the rest of the loft. This will force air out of the vents in above picture but it's such a large surface area it should in theory be silent. I've pushed some old ducting down into the vents and made sure there is a a clear air passage. The vents/ducting will have another stud wall in front of them with vents in. Effectively creating a 2 stage set of vents that will allow air to leave the loft. This will draw air in from the other side of the loft which has the same vents on the outside. It works in my head but if it actually will....

MR k
You working on a positive pressure idea ?

" I'll extracting air into it from the actual groom but it's sealed from the rest of the loft. This will force air out of the vents in above picture but it's such a large surface area it should in theory be silent"

:idn: :puff puff: :puff puff:
It's negative pressure but hard to explain mate, ill do a vid in next day or 2.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 6):
MrNice (Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:18 am) • Guest (Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:16 pm) • anova.330 (Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:55 pm) • Greenfingers (Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:43 pm) • duke (Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:00 pm) • Hydro (Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:06 pm)

JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Post by JJ »

How about a sliding barn style door ,use the foam board,or pocket door
These users thanked the author JJ for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:40 pm) • duke (Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:00 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

JJ wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:22 pm
How about a sliding barn style door ,use the foam board,or pocket door
That's a brilliant idea and ill look to implement it. Atm im hard pushed for time so my make-shift door will have to do. Plants should have been potted up ages ago. I've got some spare Celotex board too so ill have a think on how to use it with your idea.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 2):
Guest (Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:18 pm) • duke (Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:01 pm)

JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Post by JJ »

Make a top runner track w the 2x3 outside board 1"higher,,door panel on top L-shape facing down,it just hangs on,gravity,wont slide the best but not too heavy,can wax the wood,lookin good btw,you don't need no stinkin tent
These users thanked the author JJ for the post (total 2):
Keeno (Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:25 am) • duke (Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:00 pm)

Post by Guest »

I've got a sliding door on my build, saves much needed space. Top idea 💡👌

I am going to order some Celotex from there then :dance:
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
duke (Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:04 pm)

Stickylemonz
Known User

Post by Stickylemonz »

@Keeno thank you so much!! Also with your door problem, could you not use flat piece of ply, staple heavy duty velcro all round edge of board, then on your stud work do the same? This is what I have done and seems to work no light leaks, cheap to do, also I have used pond liner as a cover to go over door just to be safe rather then sorry then in the side of door is a sheet of pond liner and Mylar stapled to the back of it that drops down as a curtain as you walk in probably a bit extreme but this is so when door is off and I’m in groom there’s a certain to not exspose the bright light when I look on them at night. And let my neighbours see my shed glowing haha.. hoping this helped a little bit or just have you a bit of idea or somthing! The groom looks very nice and defo like someone said grow room envy lol I will take more photos when lights come on for the curtain and where I’ve put velcro etc! Thank you again for fan mate!!

These users thanked the author Stickylemonz for the post (total 3):
Wizard (Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:59 am) • FX (Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:23 am) • duke (Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:06 pm)

Return to “Grow Room Designs & Equipment”