Welcome to the grow room designs and equipment section. Every grower faces different obstacles when setting up a cannabis grow room. Use this section to discuss the different types of grow rooms you use or would like information about to grow cannabis. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

My Loft Build.

Discuss setting up your space & what equipment to use
Keeno
Site Admin

My Loft Build.

Post by Keeno »

Wassup GR420,

I've been a little preoccupied with a few bits including my house move which is finally happening in 2 weeks. This has meant I've had to stop all growing at my current place. There is however light at the end on the tunnel and this includes a big old loft. I do love designing grooms, kit and trying to come up with inventive ways to get away with our chosen hobby so I figured I'd do a loft build thread as I get the bits together and plan/build in what is effectively a blank canvas.

Ive decided against using tents. In a loft space every inch matters for plants and more importantly controlling environment. I've got a few things planned to help keep a very active but stealthy air flow throughout the loft while keeping it stealthy.

For now I've kicked off some clones so they are ready to go in 2-3 weeks. I'm hoping to have the loft build ready in 4 weeks.

These are rooting away in my aero cloner. 60x60 cm tent under a ISH 75v. I have taken clones off my mother's and the plants I want to grow next. Dinafem Critical will be the first run shortly followed by Wifi x Greasy Monkey from 2-Scoops. Ill also be building a separate pollen chucking chamber to pick up on something ive wanted to do for a long time.

Ive only had a brief nosey on the loft itself, i know there is a water tank which will give me water and should allow something to get rid of waste water through the overflow. Ill need to run electricity up there which is a good thing as ill be able to have sockets where i need them.

Apart from that its a plain old loft, will need complete insulation and made into a workable area. Its 5x7m so loads of potential to build a functional set of grooms.

Ive been ripping out all the insulation ive been using in my current place this week, no point going to waste.

I'll update as bits start to arrive and with my plans on how to use them. Any suggestions would be great along the way.

Im back :ak: :ak: :ak:
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 20):
Sage (Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:08 pm) • Hmr81 (Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:09 pm) • GMO (Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:17 pm) • Tictok (Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:17 pm) • Hydro (Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:17 pm) • Guest (Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:55 pm) • Captain Beefheart (Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:02 pm) • Norseman (Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:12 am) • 2-Scoops (Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:52 am) • Ghost_In_A_Jar (Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:42 pm) • anova.330 (Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:26 pm) • Bulls (Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:23 pm) • sybarite (Sun May 02, 2021 2:37 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Sat May 08, 2021 7:04 pm) • IMO (Wed May 26, 2021 7:00 am) • Rassensi (Sun May 30, 2021 1:49 pm) • TTL (Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:15 pm) • Stickylemonz (Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:29 pm) • Jayme Ream (Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:34 pm) • Ash (Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:27 pm)

Keeno
Site Admin

Re: My Loft Build.

Post by Keeno »

This was the only look i got while looking at the property without being obvious. The floor joists are 6x2 inch and interior walls are all brick to weight is not going so be a issue.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 7):
GMO (Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:20 pm) • Guest (Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:00 pm) • Marcus (Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:07 am) • Ghost_In_A_Jar (Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:42 pm) • Bulls (Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:23 pm) • Josh (Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:46 am) • Jayme Ream (Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:35 pm)

flip
Known User

Post by flip »

Wow that space has some amazing potential!

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with mate!
These users thanked the author flip for the post:
Keeno (Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:26 pm)
I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing

Hydro
Known User

Post by Hydro »

Hell to the mo frickin yeah ... love the space the possibility’s are endless , massively jelly right now buddy ... you have the best bit ahead .. do it right do it once
These users thanked the author Hydro for the post:
Keeno (Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:31 pm)

Post by Guest »

Nice one :-)

I got green eyes, I want my blank canvas too :lol:

Fair play @Keeno

Hope you enjoy.
These users thanked the author Guest for the post:
Keeno (Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:10 am)
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.”

JOHANN WOLFGANG VON GOETHE

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Insects and disease are the symptoms of a failing crop, not the cause of it. It's not the overpowering invader we must fear but the weakened condition of the victim."

William Albrecht

https://www.organacanna.co.uk/

Captain Beefheart
GR420 Leg End

Post by Captain Beefheart »

Imho first thing id do is ditch that old insulation its most probably holding some kind of nastys,then next is build a room in there within a room line it with kingspan....... then make sure its sealed,sort out air exchange then fumigate it will then get a bottle of this just incase id will rid anything within the groom organic and don't harm the plants,spray the new room walls and all surfaces with the potion then ya should be good to boot but ffs leave the old insulation there imo Image

great googly moogly!

These users thanked the author Captain Beefheart for the post (total 5):
Sage (Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:09 pm) • Guest (Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:23 pm) • Keeno (Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:10 am) • MommaB (Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:42 pm) • The Aspie Toker (Sat May 08, 2021 7:06 pm)

Norseman
Known User

Post by Norseman »

Looks like a really nice loft you got in the new place mate. Loads of potential for sure.
I'm kinda agreeing with Capt when it comes to the old insulation, toss it or just leave it be and get new one to the new groom that way you won't bring any nasties with you from the old groom.

I would also make sure it is insulated real good and and sealed so you don't get any air leaks in or out. In might be more important when it gets colder since the cold that might come in could potentially kill your existing grow or at least harm it.

Interested to see what you make of that space and looking forward to more updates on the new groom. :oik!:
These users thanked the author Norseman for the post (total 3):
Keeno (Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:43 am) • Guest (Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:10 pm) • Jayme Ream (Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:36 pm)
In the Silence lies the Power

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

The flooring:

Ive been looking at cost effective ways to try soundproof without getting involved in the very expensive options out there and trying to scavenge what i can as well.

Illo start with what ill be doing on the floor of the loft itself. Noise travelling downwards isnt a major issue as ill be using quiet kit but what i dont want is vibrations or banging traveling through the floor to the adjoining lofts and given the location of the property its important i reduce the vibration as much as possible.

Full soundproof flooring option is well out of my budget for a hobby set up and tbh its well over the top given ill not be up there playing music or dancing around in a mankini. That being said i want to do it once and do it properly, if it does come on top it womnt be because i didnt think it out and plan it as good as i could without spending thousands.

Ive decided to go with what i can get or is cheap but try to imitate full soundproofing options as best i can. First and very important is a solid fix between 2 solid objects like wood or brick is a sound highway, vibrations and bangs will travel through solid joins very easily. For this reason im going to use a floating floor. The floor will not be screwed or fixed down.

Ill be using a thick carpet underlay over the entire floor. On top of this I will then lay 100mm earthwool (stuff is as good as rockwool without any of the nasty glass and itching). On top of the earthwool i will lay 18mm chipboard flooring. The weight of the chipboard will compress the earthwool, the underlay underneath will further cushion any vibrations or movement in the loft. If i fixed the boards with screws to the floor boards id effectively be negating all of the cushioning/soundproofing of the materials between the chipboard flooring and the floor joists.

Below are some links to the products im using for the floor, these are just easy to buy places where you can find them the UK, you will get better prices looking around and some of this stuff you can easily find being thrown away on building sites:

12mm underlay: https://www.onlinecarpets.co.uk/12mm-th ... 36EALw_wcB

100mm earthwool: https://www.diy.com/departments/knauf-e ... 146_BQ.prd

18mm chipboard flooring: https://www.diy.com/departments/chipboa ... 267_BQ.prd

Very important when laying a floating floor like this. If i want to use something to fix the underlay in place i would never use a screw, always staples or a tacking nail. The reason for this is a nail or staple can move in and out of wood under pressure, the sort of pressure/weight ill be eventually putting on the floor when i build the grooms themselves. A screw will not move. If as i add weight the floor compresses a mm the screw will protrude by a mm, meaning i have a high point on the joist itself which will cause issues later on.
These users thanked the author Keeno for the post (total 4):
Guest (Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:12 pm) • sybarite (Tue May 04, 2021 12:55 am) • The Aspie Toker (Sat May 08, 2021 7:07 pm) • TTL (Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:15 pm)

FX
Known User

Post by FX »

Interesting thread, can't wait to see what you make of the space
These users thanked the author FX for the post:
Keeno (Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:33 pm)

Ghost_In_A_Jar

Post by Ghost_In_A_Jar »

I can't wait to move house for this very reason!! :)
These users thanked the author Ghost_In_A_Jar for the post:
Keeno (Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:53 pm)

Return to “Grow Room Designs & Equipment”