Welcome to the organic cannabis growing section. Use this section to discuss all aspects of growing cannabis organically. Whether you are new to organic growing or wish to share your experience of growing cannabis plants in living soil, amended soil or anything. This is the section for you. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

worm castings - vermicomposting - worm bins

Discuss organic cannabis growing
potads

Re: worm castings - vermicomposting - worm bins

Post by potads »

i think you got the 'edit only after so many seconds' setting on in ur admin panel.

Keeno
Site Admin

Post by Keeno »

I think the edit is 5 minutes. But if you do want anything edited let one of the team know and they will be happy to help.

potads

Post by potads »

no problemo

Hobbit
Has thanked: 0

Post by Hobbit »

Hi mate worm castings certainly are gold and yes they should be ph nuetral.. Just wondering when you say you feed them on coffee grinds, im wondering if thats all you feed them. Im guessing not because even a worm needs a balanced diet.. In regards to worm castings you only get out what you put in so it is essential to provide materials that will contain all types of nutrients for them to feed on. You couldnt just fertilise your garden with coffee grinds if ya get me. Also wondering if you could go into more detail on the natural pgrs you mentioned.

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

Post by The Aspie Toker »

Hobbit wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:54 pm
Hi mate worm castings certainly are gold and yes they should be pH neutral.. Just wondering when you say you feed them on coffee grinds, I'm wondering if tha'ts all you feed them. I'm guessing not because even a worm needs a balanced diet.. In regards to worm castings you only get out what you put in so it is essential to provide materials that will contain all types of nutrients for them to feed on. You couldn't just fertilise your garden with coffee grinds if ya get me. Also wondering if you could go into more detail on the natural pgrs you mentioned.
He's no longer with us, mate.
Never give advice. Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it.

Hobbit
Has thanked: 0

Post by Hobbit »

hahah not enough sales eh mate.

ohlordyeah_420
Respected Member

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

Questions about wormeries:
I was looking at these last night and couldn't work out where you get the castings from. Obviously I get there's a layer of worms in a bed and you throw them your waste but how do you get your castings out without taking half the worms with you?
Also are wormeries worth it (the towers/bins with a tap) or will a big polystyrene fish market box do?)
Also I have no soil in my garden so the wormery would have to sit on the concrete or on a stand.

Sorry if I'm just being dumb. This is all new to me. Love making soil up though!

Looking at one of these last night
https://www.wormcity.co.uk/shop/wormeri ... -100-worms
diary link me do

"I fucking hate harvesting. I like planting the things and watering them, and looking after them, talking to them. I don't like fucking harvesting."

"You like smoking them, though."

"Oh, I like smoking them."
🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

ohlordyeah_420
Respected Member

Post by ohlordyeah_420 »

Also: could i add the used soil when I finish my grow (usually around 60 litres) to the wormery?

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

ohlordyeah_420 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:12 am
Questions about wormeries:
I was looking at these last night and couldn't work out where you get the castings from. Obviously I get there's a layer of worms in a bed and you throw them your waste but how do you get your castings out without taking half the worms with you?
Also are wormeries worth it (the towers/bins with a tap) or will a big polystyrene fish market box do?)
Also I have no soil in my garden so the wormery would have to sit on the concrete or on a stand.

Sorry if I'm just being dumb. This is all new to me. Love making soil up though!

Looking at one of these last night
https://www.wormcity.co.uk/shop/wormeri ... -100-worms
Hi mate,

I use two, large polystyrene fish market boxes and do the job perfectly.

There are a few ways of removing the castings.

One way is to dump it all onto a tarpaulin and wait. The light will force the worms to burrow deeper, allowing you to remove the top layer. Wait again for the worms to move deeper again and repeat.

Another is to sieve it as and remove any worms in it.

Or, you can feed the wormery at one end and wait for the worms to migrate to the food, and remove the castings from the other.

No matter how careful you are, you'll end up with a few worms (and eggs) in the finished product.

Once I have my castings, I place it all into a bucket with a lid. On a warm day, it will drive the worms to the top (and along the walls) and easy to remove.

Hope that helps.

The Aspie Toker
GR420 Leg End

ohlordyeah_420 wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:46 am
Also: could i add the used soil when I finish my grow (usually around 60 litres) to the wormery?
Personally, I wouldn't. What is there for them to eat? There's no decaying matter.

Return to “Organic Cannabis Growing”