Welcome to the organic cannabis growing section. Use this section to discuss all aspects of growing cannabis organically. Whether you are new to organic growing or wish to share your experience of growing cannabis plants in living soil, amended soil or anything. This is the section for you. To become part of our online cannabis growing community click here to register.

How to culture L.A.B Lactic acid bacteria - Part 1

Discuss organic cannabis growing
GMO
GR420 Leg End

How to culture L.A.B Lactic acid bacteria - Part 1

Post by GMO »

Lactic acid bacteria are among the most important groups of microorganisms used in food fermentations. They contribute to the taste and texture of fermented products and inhibit food spoilage bacteria by producing growth-inhibiting substances and large amounts of lactic acid
Lactic acid bacteria (LAB) are an order of gram-positive, low-GC, acid-tolerant, generally nonsporulating, nonrespiring, either rod-shaped (bacilli) or spherical (cocci) bacteria that share common metabolic and physiological characteristics. These bacteria, usually found in decomposing plants and milk products, produce lactic acid as the major metabolic end product of carbohydrate fermentation. This trait has, throughout history, linked LAB with food fermentations, as acidification inhibits the growth of spoilage agents. Proteinaceous bacteriocins are produced by several LAB strains and provide an additional hurdle for spoilage and pathogenic microorganisms. Furthermore, lactic acid and other metabolic products contribute to the organoleptic and textural profile of a food item. The industrial importance of the LAB is further evidenced by their generally recognized as safe (GRAS) status, due to their ubiquitous appearance in food and their contribution to the healthy microbiota of animal and human mucosal surfaces. The genera that comprise the LAB are at its core Lactobacillus, Leuconostoc, Pediococcus, Lactococcus, and Streptococcus, as well as the more peripheral Aerococcus, Carnobacterium, Enterococcus, Oenococcus, Sporolactobacillus, Tetragenococcus, Vagococcus, and Weissella; these belong to the order Lactobacillales.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactic_acid_bacteria
HOW CAN LAB IMPROVE THE CANNABIS I GROW?
In theory, the addition of lactic acid bacteria to your organic grow will increase both the trichome and terpene production. This theory is backed up by real scientific research that you can read for yourself in the Plant Journal, and on the NCBI.

Here's the simple version. As they digest sugars, your LABs create a short-chain fatty acid called hexanoate as a byproduct. Cannabis plants synthesise hexanoate to produce terpenes and cannabinoids. By adding more hexanoate, you provide the building blocks for more terpenes, more cannabinoids and, theoretically, more THC.

Another study discusses how farmers of all types can use lacto b to boost plant growth by making organic fertilisers more bioavailable, and prevent disease by suppressing multiple types of bad fungi and bacteria. This means bigger, healthier cannabis plants that yield more.
https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-la ... ield-n1153

So with all these benefits how do you create your own LAB at home to add to your own grow

well it all start with water and rice

ImageImage

and what we are creating here is a carbohydrate soup which is like super steroids for microbes. so we add the water to the rice and give it a good mix to gather the rice was water

after a light stirring the water looks murky and your done mixing.

at this point we just pour off the rice wash water and apply a breathable lid (paper towel and a elastic band works perfect)

label

and in 3-7 days depending on ambient temps you will start to notice a chage in smell of the water. instead of starchy it should begin to smell sweet.

This cycle of gathering/mixing and waiting is very common in these kind of processes, so to teach ya some patience ill leave it there; till part 2

hope you all enjoy
These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 7):
IMO (Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:41 pm) • Minty (Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:16 pm) • Keeno (Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:45 pm) • Guest (Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:20 pm) • KD (Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:05 pm) • Dex (Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:31 pm) • anova.330 (Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:54 pm)
“If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself.” -Albert Einstein

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Re: How to culture L.A.B Lactic acid bacteria - Part 1

Post by GMO »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:33 pm
So why'd you wanna feed that to your plants GMO?

Does it make them fart more and become self sufficient in CO2 ?

:idn:
Interestingly enough it does a couple notable things straight off the bat,
LABs create a short-chain fatty acid called hexanoate as a byproduct. Cannabis plants synthesise hexanoate to produce terpenes and cannabinoids. By adding more hexanoate, you provide the building blocks for more terpenes, more cannabinoids and, theoretically, more THC.
how farmers of all types can use lacto b to boost plant growth by making organic fertilisers more bioavailable
and prevent disease by suppressing multiple types of bad fungi and bacteria. This means bigger, healthier cannabis plants that yield more.
so your basically providing a little sugar making machine that out breeds any bad microbes that could cause disease to your plants and on top of all that they break down the less available nutrients into a much easier to access form for your plants.... literally win, win, win situation
These users thanked the author GMO for the post (total 2):
Minty (Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:16 pm) • Dex (Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:31 pm)

Smokey

Post by Smokey »

I’m very intrigued GMO dude,

forgive me for being so naive but I always assumed (for cooking purposes) that we wash rice prior to cooking it to remove some of the starch content, so my question being is the solution your creating basically starch ??
These users thanked the author Smokey for the post:
Minty (Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:17 pm)
🍁 Who Jah Bless No Man Curse 🍁

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Smokey wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:30 pm
I’m very intrigued GMO dude,

forgive me for being so naive but I always assumed (for cooking purposes) that we wash rice prior to cooking it to remove some of the starch content, so my question being is the solution your creating basically starch ??
Yes and yes

so we have just now "cooking" the food for our microbe colonies. starch is a complex carb which bacteria go coco loco for. when the solution we currently have starts to smell sweet its at peak fermentation for part 2 where we introduce the bacteria we are looking to cultivate or breed
These users thanked the author GMO for the post:
Minty (Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:17 pm)

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:45 pm
especially the ones of you with pigtails in your hair that you send me
Sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!! they were just for you!

now everyones gonna be asking me for them :suicide:

GMO
GR420 Leg End

Post by GMO »

lets try this again :D

JJ
New Years Grow Off Winner

Post by JJ »

when is part 2??
These users thanked the author JJ for the post: